1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Do You Track Keyword Conversion For Organic SEO?

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by megler, Jan 12, 2009.

Is there a way to track keyword conversion for organic SEO? It seems there's plenty of ways to track PPC results, but I can't find a way to track if a person clicked through from Google by searching for "blue widgets" and then clicks off my site via an affiliate link to hopefully make a purchase (I would call the click off a conversion) - How I can track this.

I know Analytics has goals, but I don't see how I can set the goal up using the orginal keyword the searcher entered the site by (my platform is WP, not a dynamic site).

Any suggestions?

megler, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  2. ConquestYoutube

ConquestYoutube Peon

Best Answers:
    you need to capture and track the referrer on the landing page. i have a script that captures that, then rewrites it into my outbound link like: affilate1.com/myaffilid=12345&campaign=$refcampaign

i stick the refcampaign into a cookie so that it saves between page loads on my site.

ConquestYoutube, Jan 14, 2009 IP
  3. Dreamerr

Dreamerr Peon

Best Answers:
    I think getclicky.com stats will let you track outbound clicks, haven't tried it yet.

Dreamerr, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I'm also wanting to know the answer to this. Is there a way to setup a google analytics goal to achieve this? The goal could be they clicked on an affiliate link or arrived on the landing page. If not, is there some other way for organic SEO tracking so you know which keywords are converting for your site?

dcristo, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  5. robertstr

robertstr Member

Best Answers:
    These programs may provide short, simple analytic reports or detailed analysis.
    Scripts
    Use a script to capture and track the referrer on the landing page, then rewrite the captured data into an outbound link.
    Cookies
    Another free and relatively simple way to track organic conversions is by using cookies that save between page loads on a site.
    Tracking pixel
    Finally, those with a bit of graphics knowledge can create a tracking pixel, also known as a clear .gif, to collect the desired information in conjunction with a Bash or PHP script to return the data and return a blank pixel.
    While one might think it's tougher to track organic conversions than paid keyword conversions, it really isn't. In fact, most tracking methods provide a free or low cost option and can be quickly and easily implemented on a Web site in just a few hours. Have you good luck!:)

robertstr, Apr 22, 2009 IP
  6. Tsid

Tsid Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, imo, the best way is to write a small tracking script.

You may just collect all info on your visitors and then just analyze it.

The simplest example is the bbclone stats where you can see the user actions on your website. Just take all actions of the user and then add the outgoing click to it - and voila..

Tsid, May 14, 2009 IP
  7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I would REALLY like the answer to this when using Google Analytics for organic SEO campaigns.

Would you consider clicking on the affiliate link a conversion, or only when the visitor goes onto make a purchase? If the latter, does that mean you have to place Google Analytics code on the merchant site, even when not using Adwords?

dcristo, Aug 18, 2010 IP