1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you pinpoint the theme you want

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by miko67, Jan 14, 2005.

I'm mystified... I am running adsense on my (rather small danish) website and for some reason I seem to get a lot of telephone-related ads (like ring-tunes and logoes for your cellphone) instead of the ones I thought I would get, namely ads about accounting and bookkeeping, as this is what the site is about. Now I'm NOT complaining as these ads seem to bring in more cents (yeah, it's still hard pressed to call it $$ yet :p ) but I am mystified as to what exactly makes google choose one theme over another. They got the theme "right" on some of the sub-pages, so we're only talking about the index-page here.

I know it's in danish, but if you just focus on the word that looks like telephone;) and the word "bogføring" which is bookkeeping in danish you're in the clear - i think. (this is, if you get so interested in particulars that you actually visit a non-english website... www.bogholderiet.frac.dk/)

I know someone will tell me that:
    1) I should read an old thread (please do if you know a good one, I will)
    2) nobody knows, cause it's a secret (yeah.. I kind a knew, but still)
    3) I'm not supposed to be able to figure it out (well, that's part of the game isn't it?)

- and of the above is great... If someone has any thoughts on what enables you as webmaster to pinpoint the right theme and avoid the "allmost right", please share (or most likely; point me to nearest thread)

miko67, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    If you look at the source of your page, you'll notice that the very first word above the div googlevenstre is.... <h3>Mobil: 27 28 49 07</h3> !

It's been theorized that the words surrounding the ads are the most important ones.

One particularly strange encounter we had in the forum here was someone who got ads for their DP username, "GEM" at the time. Without even saying GEM just once on the whole site. Turned out to be the links (probably) from DP back to his site.
    Maybe you've got some IBL's from phone related sites?

Wingdude discovered some code within the adsense code like google_hint or something where he found KWs that triggered the ads, instead of the page's content. This is believed to be only available for premium publishers. It does work if you change it, but it probably violates TOS.

My suggestion? Get bookkeeping words closer to the adsense code. In the source that is, not necessarily on-page in the output.

Edit: PS you might want to check your site's lay out in FireFox, the adsense ads fall off the page on my box.

T0PS3O, Jan 14, 2005 IP
    longcall911 likes this.
  3. pg20706

pg20706 Peon

Best Answers:
    I could be wrong. But I don't think Adsense will make much money for your website.

pg20706, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  4. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Care to provide any justification for that comment???

SEbasic, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    How do you know? He might get a gazillion hits per minute... And what does that have to with the thread?

T0PS3O, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  6. pg20706

pg20706 Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO, she needs more pages. If the site gets a gazillion hits per minute, she will make good money regardless what kind adsense ads showing on her site.

pg20706, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  7. scriptdungeonadmin

scriptdungeonadmin Peon

Best Answers:
    One thing that seems to get the targeted ads that you want is putting the keyword into the URL string. For example if you want ads for widgets to show up on a page, make sure that the page URL looks like yoursite.com/widgets/widgets.html

I have found the URL to be very important in delivering ads that I want displayed.

scriptdungeonadmin, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  8. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    And just to repeat, for emphasis, it does seem that G relies, perhaps heavily, on the immediate context of the AdSense placement: the words and phrases just above and just below. So either place the ad block amidst theme-relevant text, or place such text around the block (not quite the same thing--pick which looks best on your pages).

Owlcroft, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  9. miko67

miko67 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I take it then, that you believe Google to relie more - or as well - on on-page text as it does on source code?

Anyway, I didn't have any problem moving the blocks around in source code so now the bookkeeping words are closer. Now all I have to do is wait for whenever G decides to pay me a visit, and then we'll see if TOPS is right about his suggestion. I have to say though, that after looking at my sources for each page I am convinced that TOPS is right in saying:
    So: Get the Adsense-ads close(-est) to what ever keywords you want to make theme of the page. I'll be back to confirm the change in ads showing...

miko67, Jan 14, 2005 IP
  10. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you could show a second block with just one small ad on the bottom left, with the greyish background colour just below where it says "Vores bogføring og bogholderi er effektivt og løsningsorienteret.".

I'd be interested to see whether they fix the 'theme' per page for every ad block or whether it is topical based on each individual ad block's position. My guess would be per-page/page-wide...

T0PS3O, Jan 17, 2005 IP
  11. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    Miko, do you run multiple websites with your adsense id? One thing I have noticed is that on some of my sites, if Adsense has trouble trying to find a theme for the page, it will show some generic ads based on the overall theme(s) it finds on some of my other sites that share the same Adsense id. I would follow the advice of the above members and try to optimize your actual content text to better match your theme.

my3cents, Jan 17, 2005 IP