1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Do You Name Your Adsense Units?

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by cbillows, Jul 26, 2011.

I have been naming my Adsense units generic names like 728 x 92, GFX, Start-10/10/10 or something along those lines.

I am now realizing that I want more details about what those Ad units actually mean. Would I create and name Adsense units for each section of a website? Is that not cumbersome?

What do you name your Units? I am looking for ideas.

cbillows, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  2. crabfoot

crabfoot Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use the channels to distinguish between sites/niches - then I name the units with the channel name as well. When I look at the channel data I can see where the traffic is coming from.

crabfoot, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  3. cbillows

cbillows Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Channels is something I have hardly used. :eek:

Can you give me an example of how you would name your channels and ads? I am having trouble thinking about how each unit fits with a channel and then fits with a URL.

cbillows, Jul 27, 2011 IP
  4. crabfoot

crabfoot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Let's say I have a weight loss domain, called slimming .cam.

Name a channel weightloss/slimming, give it a full keyword laden description so it appeals to advertisers, make it available etc.

Create Adsense units associated with the channel, and put the channel name in the description. Now the results from those units will appear as one channel, and you can follow that site's performance in Adsense.

Or perhaps you have four weight loss sites, and you're happy to track them with Analytics and Webmasters. So you use those units across the four sites, and the Adsense channel gives you the cumulative results from the four sites.

You have to try it out and see what suits you, use it to get the information you want. If you want to know what you get from putting up a banner ad at the top of each site, you might run a channel for that, and run separate channels for the other ads on a site. You can always delete and add channels.

crabfoot, Jul 28, 2011 IP
    cbillows likes this.
  5. cbillows

Best Answers:
    That's helpful. Thanks!

cbillows, Jul 28, 2011 IP
  6. sugilie

sugilie Peon

Best Answers:
    for channel, i am using WEBNAME_TYPE_POS_DESC and it will end out TT_AU_SINGLE_TOP

TT for my site name todaytablet.com
    AU for the Ad Unit or LinkUnit
    Single for the page where i put, it might be index or single, since im using wordpress ^^
    Top for position on the page

hope you find it helpful

sugilie, Aug 14, 2011 IP
  7. aliasneo

aliasneo Peon

Best Answers:
    when u make ur adsense units before u click the generate the code button there is a box with the default name so change it there

aliasneo, Aug 14, 2011 IP
  8. saladflorida

saladflorida Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i use channel to naming my ad unit.
    like mysite336x280toppost, mysite250x250home

saladflorida, Aug 14, 2011 IP
  9. crabfoot

crabfoot Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is not a good system - it only helps you remember. Make the channels targetable with a meaningful name and long description including keywords, and advertisers will be more likely to choose them for their campaigns.

crabfoot, Aug 15, 2011 IP
  10. cbillows

Best Answers:
    So naming an adsense unit can be anything you want - but it is the Channels that are meant to be targeted. I would imagine this would help your revenue since its more targeted.

So, would you ever have a channel that spans a number of websites? The example of the weightloss channel, that was dedicated to a particular website - but if you had a number of similar websites (I have a couple of flash arcades) I guess I could create a channel related just to flash arcades?

Channel is the holder, and the ads are units within the channel. I am needing to get my head around this. :D

cbillows, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  11. crabfoot

crabfoot Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes - an advertiser is likely to select your channel if he can see the ads are getting clicks and the description fits his requirements.

No - I suggested that you might use it on more than one site. The more sites using the channel, the more clicks on that channel, the more likely that an advertiser might pick it.

If you want to use a channel for tracking a single site, you can leave it as "private". If the ads spread across a lot of sites and get plenty of clicks, you can make the channel public and available to advertisers - which is when the channel description wants to be meaningful, with keywords.

crabfoot, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  12. Piradzinsh

Piradzinsh Peon

Best Answers:
    For instance if my site is about dog food I would name my ad unit something like this:

"Dog header big", or "dog middle centered" and similar. I don't place the size on name of ad unit as I can see it from code and details

Piradzinsh, Aug 21, 2011 IP