1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you measure the impact of pruning pages?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Barb Davids, Dec 21, 2019.

I'm going through a site to reduce index bloat, crawl budget, limit the number of pages for my keyword mapping.

If you've removed/redirected old content, how did you measure the success of the project?

Cheers!
    Barb

Barb Davids, Dec 21, 2019 IP
  2. Oso Optimized

Oso Optimized Active Member

Best Answers:
    You do know this can be very risky? How big is your site that you have these concerns?

Oso Optimized, Dec 23, 2019 IP
  3. Barb Davids

Barb Davids Member

Best Answers:
    Risky how?

Barb Davids, Dec 23, 2019 IP
  4. Oso Optimized

Best Answers:
    You start deleting content, you change the way the search engines view and rank your site in keyword searches. Even if you don't see a drop in SERPs, you can still be losing long tail keyword results that you don't even know about.

Oso Optimized, Dec 23, 2019 IP
  5. Barb Davids

Barb Davids Member

Best Answers:
    True. But let's say I'm ok with the risk or the decision was made, curious how to measure the impact? I've read some folks do not see a difference at all and some do.

Is organic traffic the only logical way to measure the difference?

Barb Davids, Dec 24, 2019 IP
  6. Oso Optimized

Best Answers:
    Well if I decided I needed to do this to one of my sites, I would closely watch SERPs. Then monitor analytics to make sure that there was no drop in traffic...

As far as implementing changes, I would work in small segments and make sure that I was able to easily reverse changes should there be any problems. Always be ready to immediately undo what was done anytime you see a traffic or SERP drop.

None of my sites are big enough for this to be a concern. And in my case, I would more than likely do damage by eliminating content.

Oso Optimized, Dec 25, 2019 IP