1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you manage your development site URLs/links?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by electroze, Mar 17, 2013.

Hello, for those who manage separate development sites, how to you manage it? Subdomain? or a subfolder within your main domain? Or as a completely separate domain?

I have a large custom built html/php website (8,195 physical files, 96 folders, and many dynamically generated pages) and have been managing it as a completely separate domain. I used to update everything direct on the live site when I had less traffic, but today, I can no longer 'experiment' with features and have to keep it a separate dev site, but I'm struggling to manage it. The main reason is if I update my dev file, I then have to copy that file to my local files for the real website, then search/replace the dev domain name to the real domain name, then copy to the live server. And if I update multiple files, it gets complicated and is easy to forget to copy over one of the updated files- especially when buried in multiple folders. All the files are 1.3 GB, so I can't copy all and do a massive search/replace for all each time, but just those that change. It seems like a messy solution and there has got to be a better way. I do have a main include.php file where I can change the domain name variable from dev to real, but I have globals off for security reasons and that include file is not included in all files, many have the variable stored within its own file, hence the search/replace each time.

How do you manage your development site? Any recommendations?

electroze, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  2. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    subfolder within your main domain would be good to manage with same server.

creativewebmaster, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  3. electroze

electroze Active Member

Best Answers:
    Surprised no one else pitched in...

electroze, Mar 23, 2013 IP
  4. Brian L. Martin

Brian L. Martin Peon

Best Answers:
    I just hide the files extensions within the name of the site I'm working on, so if I was building xyzderp.com I'd do most of the development at xyzderp.com/r4nd0mth1nlyveiledn4me - throw <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow"> in there immediately and go, go, go.

Brian L. Martin, Mar 23, 2013 IP