1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you get in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by crudeexperts, Sep 2, 2010.

1. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well over 2000 actually :)

jimnoble, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    No PR boost? I agree with that. But PR is about as important as having your own Bozo button now-a-days.

No traffic? On that I would have to disagree. That's about the only viable and useful result of being listed. ;)

Mia, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That really depends on your category. Some cats rarely get seen themselves, so shooting traffic is even less existent. Though I'm sure some categories do send some traffic... though which ones I can not say (as seemingly I am not listed on any). The first year I was listed I got a total of about 5 referrals, with maybe another handful coming from clones, so I'd be hard pressed to say 10 hits is all that much to brag about....but again, I am sure there are other categories that could send much more.

Qryztufre, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  4. pwan

pwan Peon

Best Answers:
    I saw here one member was saying about not posting Adsense is good advice for getting listed in Dmoz, by this way Dmoz editors would think that you are doing something for society not for your business and internet is for society not for business.

pwan, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  5. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nonsense. Adsense has nothing to do if you get listed or not.

Agent000, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  6. mrnadoa

mrnadoa Peon

Best Answers:
    ooo, i just know it if our website no have adsense, web will easy rank in Dmoz..great..i try...I want ask, how long we know our web will rank in Dmoz? Or just submit then forget it:) that advise i usually get

mrnadoa, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  7. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not at all important. It's buried deep in Google's bowels, and there is no indication that it's used in determining the SERPs. It would also be really stupid of Google to use a directory that is stale by about a decade, when it can spider the fresh sites, interpret them, and rate them at the speed of light.

Oh gawd, these have long been discounted by Google's algorithm as duplicate content. When was the last time you saw these clones float on top of the SERPs? 2002? As a matter of fact, when was the last time you saw a DMOZ category float on top of the SERPs? 2002 sounds about right, doesn't it.

or is ODP really now a waste of time?[/QUOTE]

helleborine, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  8. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    True, dat!

No traffic. I have about 5-6 sites listed, and none of them have seen a single referral from DMOZ for maybe 3-5 years now.

helleborine, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  9. mohamedsafiq

mohamedsafiq Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try to find a dmoz editor this is the only way for inclide your site

mohamedsafiq, Sep 8, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  10. Rakhi Chowdhary

Rakhi Chowdhary Peon

Best Answers:
    Getting listed in DOMZ is a hard nut to crack, so rather then trying to become DOZ editor just go to the most relevant category, and best if you try with regional submission.

Rakhi Chowdhary, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  11. Reviewz

Reviewz Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it does. But maybe that's because - most sites with Adsense are not quite on par with being categorized as being "high quality."

Take a look at Dmoz listings, many of them do not have Adsense.

Reviewz, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  12. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We ignore adsense and look at the useful and unique content. However, if a website is so full of ads that an editor can't easily find any useful and unique content, it usually gets canned.

jimnoble, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  13. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Odd, my sites that have AdSense on them are listed just like my sites without any advertising.

CReed, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  14. gamechanger

gamechanger Active Member

Best Answers:
    Then do most value calculators score a 0 for DMOZ if you don't have a dmoz?

gamechanger, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Most value calculators are HORRIBLY inaccurate. Maybe that is due to them putting too much hype into a DMOZ listing? Nahhh.... they over price things not even included. They are like Alexa Rank... it's best to just ignore them.

Qryztufre, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  16. Johnbotham

Johnbotham Peon

Best Answers:
    From my experience i can say it is just waste of time in adding it there, if you tried once then leave, somehow someday you might see your site there..lol

Johnbotham, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  17. Derekk88

Derekk88 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo is 100% more powerful because they actually review and list sites. DMOZ is a complete waste of time because it is either too large of a task to deal with and most submissions get ignored do to sheer numbers, or the editors are corrupt an only list sites for which they have some sort of compensation, or maybe it just sucks.

If you ever go through it you will see there are dead sites, redirected domains, broken links, on an on. Its completely turned to crap. Do you really think Google is still using it as a primary source of sites? I think they do their own thing quite well and it is not used. Regular folks don't even know about this directory, so its original mission, to provide a strong directory for the people has failed. It a directory for webmasters and SEOs only... they are the only one's who know about it!

Also, in 8 years of doing this stuff I have never had one single submission approved, or "rejected" at least I wasn't notified. Yet, I surpass client's competitors sites in the SERPS for primary keywords who have a DMOZ listing. Can it really be that big a deal anymore. I think not.

DMOZ Sucks.

Derekk88, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  18. Reviewz

Reviewz Peon

Best Answers:
    You could be quite right. I mean I see OLD sites, really ancient ones that are so ugly and hurt my eyes with their garish colors, being listed on Dmoz while my new redesigned site with a lot more pages and far better design is ignored.....

Dmoz definitely loves boring edu and govt sites too much, even when many of them cannot be said to be better than some newer mom and pop creations. Dmoz definitely has this thing for ugly, old sites, and that's why some of them get forgotten by their owners and not renewed....the domain gets picked up and then sold for $$$....That's why you have so many broken links on Dmoz.....that's where it started. And now the editors are so choosy, so very few new ones actually get picked....at least for the categories I've seen.

Sheesh, they really have to pull up their socks - Big Time.

Reviewz, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  19. realgroupspeak

realgroupspeak Guest

Best Answers:
    I submit to them every other day. Hopefully one day..

realgroupspeak, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  20. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One thing is certainly true, we have no interest in sites because of their flashy new gizmo's, or brilliant construction, or poor construction. We are only interested in unique content. Nothing else matters.

# realgroupspeak
    If you mean you are submitting the same URL every other day, then you seriously hiunder your chances of being listed, that amount of submission is likely to be seen as spam, deleted and banned. Have you read the guidelines? There is no need to waste your time, we do not loose the suggestions, they just have to sit around until an editor volunteers to work on them and submitting every other day just does absolutely nothing to speed up the process and likely gets someone banned for spamming the directory and never gets through the filters.

Anonymously, Sep 15, 2010 IP