1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you feel about religion? What are your views?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by cazort, Sep 7, 2011.

I consider myself religious, because I am a very spiritual person, and also because I place importance on having a religious community in my life. I especially like to be able to talk about religion with others in an open-minded, supportive atmosphere. But I find my beliefs and actions often are fairly strongly different from most other people who identify as "religious".

You can read more about my views on my pages on religion, spirituality, and related topics.

So, what do you believe? How do you feel about religion, or spirituality? Both organized religion, and your own private spiritual practices?

cazort, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I sometimes feel like my spiritual journey is just beginning.The more I learn about human nature the more questions I have.This noble experiment of human kind appears to have failed and failed dismally.Every time I open a history book or turn on CNN I wonder why the experiment even began?
    Are we not better than this? We are still in essence fighting the same battles we were 7,000 years ago in Sumeria.(religious intolerance)Why can't we evolve into something(anything)better? If indeed the creator exists,then why does he(it) not step in as a parent would? It's a simple enough request isn't it?

Spoiltdiva, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  3. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Spoiltdiva : If The omnipotent Creator would step in the life of it's creation and intervene it would drastically reduce the free will of the creation . As a small creator myself if I would be alone and I would create intelligence I would like it to have a mind of it's own rather then be a slave . I believe Nietzsche summed it up pretty well in this words "Companions, the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks -- those who write new values on new tablets."

ApocalypseXL, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @ApocalypseXL
    Don't even get me started on Nietzsche,he is one of my favorite philosophers.My all time favorite Nietzsche quote is what he said in regards to God and the concept of hell."Does the potter blame the pot if it's cracked?" Well.......that began my slow descent into cynicism.

Spoiltdiva, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  5. cazort

cazort Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there's a large degree to which this is true. I think that there is, however, reason for hope. If you look back, historically, you will find that some cultures are more tolerant than others. Unfortunately, modern human history consists largely of Western culture overpowering other cultures by force, and forcing their culture and value system onto others, and often, just killing or eradicating other cultures.

This happened when Europeans colonized North and South America, and it also happened throughout Africa...three of the world's largest continents. It also happened to a great degree throughout various parts of South and Southeast Asia, Australia and the islands in the Pacific. But this was essentially one culture. Yes, other cultures have been imperialist and forced their culture on others--this has happened in parts of Chinese history as well--but the point is, not all cultures are like that.

I also think that Western Culture itself, which has become the dominant culture worldwide, is evolving, and to some degree, imploding. A lot of the values, the false sense of superiority, that this culture embraced for a long time are crumbling. When white people of European descent realize that their historic sense of superiority is wholly wrong and misled, I think it is a sign that humanity will be entering a new era. I also think that to some degree, we are developing a better understanding of human psychology in ways that will ultimately be empowering for ending unnecessary conflicts. It will be a rocky road, but I think there are many reasons to be hopeful!

cazort, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  6. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Well just saying but the potter is a shaper a second creator since he just shapes existing creation :p Don't worry about cynicism it is a very healthy skill to have ,but one must be aware of the fact that even cynicism is wrong when taken to the extremes (conspiracy theory) . If you can still study philosophy you're in luck . My schedule barely allows for any serious free time , i just sneak out for 5 minutes to have some fun on a forum or for quick game of chess .

7. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    I'd think you're putting the blame on the wrong people here . The Western Culture own it's rapid decay to a gross misscontrolling of society and a brutal focus on the human ego . Europeans have the right to feel a little proud of what they've done , but being blinded by those historic achievements it s mistake of galactic proportions. I don't think you need to worry to much about white people , we're a rapidly diminishing minority and if things go the way they are we'll all be gone in less then 200 years . Also as long as there is a competition for limited resources there will be conflict , even with fusion power it will be impossible to sustain more then 9 billion people and to sustain that population we'll need to raise the global HDI to a Swiss level .

The dangers that exist for the planet are global warming (we might have a fighting chance on that one) , Chinese hegemony (a totalitarian empire bent on taking control by any means necessary ) , overpopulation and islamofascism .

8. jmbinfo

jmbinfo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe you shouldn't disguise "self promotion" in the form of a DP thread/post.

That being said, without a belief in a higher power one misses out on "hope" ( for starters ). Life is a dangerous, dreadful, sad place for those without "hope".

jmbinfo, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  9. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:
    As Columbus crossed the ocean to find land a person must also emerge outside themselves to reach the Everlasting.

Breeze Wood, Sep 7, 2011 IP
  10. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    Really? Without a belief in an imaginary skyman one misses out on "hope"?
    Hope for what mate? Hope to land in a fairyland when you are dead? Hope to get out of a trouble magically? Hope to get riches without effort? It's not hope, it's called delusion..

Let me tell ya, I'm an atheist, I don't have an imaginary friend but don't see my life as hopeless, in fact I find it full of hopes.

Hope to have an even better life, hope to get married someday, hope to have a couple of beautiful kids and hope to live and die peacefully.
    Hope is not an exclusivity for religion. You don't have exclusive rights on hope (You may claim rights on delusion and gullibility though).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
    The Webby, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  11. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's poison. it is intent on retarding human advancement, it feeds children lies and is the definition of sinister. We need rid of it.

No thanks, i'll stick to "truth". You know, what with me not being a 5 year old and all. Maybe you cling to this fantasy because you see life as being dreadful. I love life, i think it is full of absolute wonder, happiness and it frankly amazes me every day. But i can see why someone who seems as terrified of it as you do would need a magic sky daddy to hold his hand.

Look how pathetic religion makes it's followers.

stOx, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  12. jmbinfo

jmbinfo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's why its called freedom. Freedom to believe how ever you want to believe. What I find comical is that those that do not believe in a higher power always seem so desperate to convert those that do believe yet they don't appreciate it when those that do believe try to convert them. You for one have a whole website dedicated to that mission. Tolerance goes both ways.

If I'm wrong and there is no God then I guess it doesn't matter. I lived a life trying to follow a moral compass. If you are wrong then....

Don't blame religion for extremists. There are bad people in every group ( ie: boy scouts, football teams, government ).

How did I get sucked into this thread??? LOL

P.S. I think your sig is classic and funny! Nice work.

jmbinfo, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  13. cazort

cazort Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. I tend to like agnosticism (even though I myself am religious) because agnostics admit that they don't know something. That's a step in the right direction, IMHO.

cazort, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  14. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    Really again? what I find comical is your conclusion..

Atheist don't give a damn to what you believe, we laugh our asses off, of course.. We just don't appreciate when you decide to save our souls, we don't appreciate your preaching.
    As long as you keep your faith to yourself, we don't care who you worship. But you can't do that. You find yourself compelled to start a new thread everyday stating how you think God is real..
    You flatly state your 'faith' as a 'fact' and then expect us to simply believe whatever you believe. And then you start complaining when we question your 'faith'..

2N121218JHy191215Q9eQ.jpg

A simple exercise for you, tell me -
    How many threads, about god, do you see started by atheists here?
    How many threads, about god, do you see started by religious here?

Check it out and then honestly think who comes out as 'desperate'..

The Webby, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  15. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    A lot of them .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  16. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    So nice mate.. How about the 2nd question? Selective reading, huh?

The Webby, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  17. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    A taste of your own medicine :eek:

ApocalypseXL, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  18. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It held science back for centuries, anything that stagnates human intition and innovation is a negative thing and should always be surpressed.

Seqqa, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  19. The Webby

The Webby Peon

Best Answers:
    A show of your inability to back your statements, if anything at all. Nothing new in that anyway..

The Webby, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  20. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    The fortress monasteries that existed in the Dark Ages acted as vaults that preserved the ancient knowledge , without those the Renaissance would have been delayed by hundred if not thousands of years .

Actually that has been your #2 ability for a long time .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 9, 2011 IP