1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Do You Come Up With Domain Name Ideas?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by jhmattern, Mar 28, 2007.

I have a pretty regular pattern of coming up with domain name ideas (and I do pretty well at least imo). :)

Here's what I normally do:

1. I come up with a general word or phrase related to either the niche of the site idea or a feeling / image I want the site to convey.

2. I run it through a tool I saw mentioned somewhere here on DP ages ago - http://www.pcnames.com/search/ (usually using the advanced search to limit it to .com options).

3. I nearly always find something that's available, that I love, and that would be perfect for the site. If not, I just run the phrase through www.thesaurus.com and look for other potential options. So far it's never failed. :)

Others may not like these domains, but they've proven to be marketable so far (the active ones at least), and they work for my niches. Here are a few I found w/ this process:

FadMarketing.com
    NakedPR.com
    BizAmmo.com
    BizHow2.com
    FirstRateContent.com
    AllFreelancing.com
    SixFigureWriters.com

Now, I'm in a slightly odder situation. Normally, I go in knowing a very specific niche. I'm now considering launching a general content network, and coming up with names is completely driving me up a wall. I know I want something to convey learning and trust, but be short, easy to remember, and that will work well for marketing (asking for too much, right? lol). I'm just having no luck w/ my usual process right now.

So how do you come up with your domain name ideas? I'm hoping someone else will have a method that might strike a few ideas for me. :)

Jenn

jhmattern, Mar 28, 2007 IP
    jro likes this.
  2. Your Content

Your Content Banned

Best Answers:
    This is an excellent idea that I never came across with until I'm reading your post so really thanks for the suggestion.

I usually begin playing with a few words in mind doing a whois research with this tool to verify if domains are available www.lantricks.com/lanwhois

Otherwise I use this tool to find a few ideas www.bizweb2000.com/wizard

Your Content, Mar 28, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tool link. Unfortunately my biggest problem right now is coming up with primary word ideas... I don't even care if it's a real word, as long as it's marketable though. Normally I have a pretty easy time... I just feel mildy braindead on the domain front today.

4. DisneyGeek

DisneyGeek Peon

Best Answers:
    Tools are nice but the best tool is your brain...available tools rely on specific logic...the developers that is...you can come up with much better combinations using comon sense...think of the keywork you want then try to widen your posibilities by veriations of associated keywords.

i also use another secret technic that i can not specify ...i bet you can come up withit yourself

DisneyGeek, Mar 28, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  5. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I usually do go into it already knowing the basics of what I want (keyword or niche). The tool I mentioned tends to give enormously better options than most of the typical domain name generators I've come across though, and tends to be the best option when I'm looking for something short. Because there's no specific niche associated with the site I'm considering though, I'm having a really difficult time getting that initial phase jump-started, which is incredibly unusual for me.

So I guess here's a better question... If you're looking for a domain that doesn't need to be keyword-rich - like a completely made up, yet marketable, word - how do you come up with ideas? Do you look for certain types of sounds, mold it after a particular letter or sequence, etc.?

6. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:

You can take parts of two different words and try that.

learing
    trust
    education
    honesty
    integrity

Then you get....

Edtegrity (taken already)
    trustication
    etc.

Anwyay, that is one thing I do.

browntwn, Mar 28, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tactic. I probably wouldn't want to combine the exact words b/c they're more like an "image" than keywords, but it's an interesting idea. I'll give that a try later or tomorrow and see if I can come up with anything. :)

8. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Depends, if you want an old domain or a new one or one with traffic.

When a friend and I wanted to start a new blog it took us lots of brain storming to come up with Self Made Minds and most of it is narrowing down words/keywords that man something and trying to find a decent .com available.

If I was going into a niche I would try and take over an existing domain personally if possible.

sji2671, Mar 28, 2007 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  9. CraigslistGuy

CraigslistGuy Banned

Best Answers:
    I get my keyword and add a supplementary description. For example if I wanted a domain about trucks, I would choose

longhaultrucks.com

CraigslistGuy, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  10. jro

jro Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the site bookmarked and u got rep

jro, Apr 4, 2007 IP