1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do once good communities fail?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by vpl_king, Jan 25, 2011.

Let's say if we have a good community that's pretty popular, and then something happens, nobody is posting anymore... What do you think is the cause for a lot of good communities failure? Could it be from the lack of commitement or?

vpl_king, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  2. Steve Marino

Steve Marino Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen a lot of forums fail due to the actions of the ownership/moderators. Once a few key people leave, they might go someplace else then other people follow them and the original forum becomes a ghost town. A lack of commitment is generally low down on the list since most people who post on forums actually like posting on forums.

Steve Marino, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  3. vpl_king

vpl_king Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you people give up because they believe their community can survive without them, or what? I've seen a lot of good communities that have fallen because they lack new content, and people aren't posting anymore.

vpl_king, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  4. DJboutit2

DJboutit2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Forum gets hacked
    Forum gets a new mod who is power hungry
    Lame members acting like 12 to 14 yr old post retarted stuff
    People just getting tired of posting
    Not enough new members are joining

DJboutit2, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  5. Ethical Geek

Ethical Geek Member

Best Answers:
    I'm just about to start a community. The fact that few famous forums have turned into 'Ghost Towns' shakes me up from within. I guess, new posts, good content, events like contests, etc. could help sustaining and help grow traffic.

Ethical Geek, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  6. Groovystar

Groovystar Peon

Best Answers:
    A forum is a LOT of work. It can "fail" for a whole number of reasons. Most of all, poor management. It is a misconception that "once a forum gets big you don't need to do much." You need to do more than ever before, or you could see the entire thing collapse. This is also a chief cause of a once friendly forum getting rude and nasty.

Groovystar, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  7. WizCudster

WizCudster Peon

Best Answers:
    No motivation to keep posting. The owner needs to constantly be adding new, fresh content to engage discussions. Otherwise, the forum will get boring after some time, and members will start leaving.

WizCudster, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  8. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Do you think its up to the owner to get the community off the ground, and make sure it doesn't die? If the owner isn't active, and has staff members that are working for him/her, shouldn't they be to blame as well?

Why do you think this sometimes happen?

ForgottenCreature, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  9. guineapirate

guineapirate Member

Best Answers:
    Sex, drugs and dancing, all the young kids dancing to their hippity hoppity music these day, our communities are going straight to Hell!!! Also, if the water is bad then you know the people got to be.

/lolz

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    guineapirate, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  10. WizCudster

WizCudster Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's fully up to the owner to get a community off the ground. It takes time & dedication. Being lazy and hiring staff members to do the work for you shows a lack of that. But yes, if the community dies because of inactive staff members, they are to blame also.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    WizCudster, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  11. Sickthing

Sickthing Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the best way to kill a forum after it is doing well is either over moderation or under moderation.

If it gets full of spam, it will die.

If moderators are over powering and bent of feeding their ego, it will fail. When you do moderate, do it quietly. Don't make a big deal of it just deal with the offender.

Like they do here, seeing banned besides a users name is enough.

Not long ago, I saw a board owner complaining about no one posting. That was probably the worst thing he could have done.

When I saw it, I was like, you haven't posted any thing new. It is your freaking board. Say something yourself. I didn't, I just went on about my business but that's really a bad idea. Announce to the world no one is posting and then don't post anything of value. Not smart.

Sickthing, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  12. ChrisinMN

ChrisinMN Peon

Best Answers:
    I think a lot of times, a forum owner just does not understand the time it takes to keep a forum updated and interesting. My forum is a ghost town once members convinced me to make much of the forum private. They kind of wanted their own group to chat and that was about it. Unfortunately, I listened to them, and my forum has been suffering.

It just gets old to. Once you do it for awhile and nothing takes off, it seems as though your time has been spent for nothing. I'd like to sell, but don't think I'd get much in this economy.

ChrisinMN, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  13. decryption

decryption Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes it just gets too big and the signal-to-noise ratio changes.

decryption, Feb 20, 2011 IP
  14. DmitryS

DmitryS Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think communities fails when owners became greedy and show more ads and spam your email with email

DmitryS, Feb 24, 2011 IP
  15. Clutch Technology

Clutch Technology Peon

Best Answers:
    Not producing new and original content.
    Another site comes along that presents better content and visual appearance.
    Website doesn't evolve with the internet times.
    Bad owners/moderation. Losing members to no moderation is common and even more common is power hungry moderation.
    No loyalty from owners.
    Loss of funds.

Clutch Technology, Feb 26, 2011 IP
  16. drewtoby

drewtoby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you need to keep the members coming back again, and again (and get new members while doing so)

drewtoby, Mar 5, 2011 IP