1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I switch my live domain over to another server?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Jimbob1208, Mar 29, 2016.

Hi,

I am trying to understand how best to move my live ecommerce site over to a newly developed version.

THE CIRCUMSTANCES

My live Magento ecommerce site (I'll call it magento-live-com) is currently on an inadequate hosting package (I'll call this 'old hosting server') and the site itself also needed updating.

I have subsequently developed a new site (I'll call this magento-development-com) and is hosted on a magento specific VPS package (I'll call this 'new hosting server').

When I am ready to go live how do I get the ecommerce sites domain name 'magento-live' to link with the newly developed site on the 'new hosting server' which is currently hosting the ecommerce files under the domain name 'magento-development-com'

Thanks

Jimbob1208, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  2. Bitpalace

Bitpalace Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is very easy to do, but it can be provider specific. Your provider will need to change the DNS entry of the domain to route traffic to the other server, and it will need to configure the new server to react on the domain name. In Magento you may also need to enter a different site URL (in configurations). This is all very easy, but a specific advice cannot be given here, because it depends on where you lease the domain name, where you run the name servers, what control panel (if any) your provider has.

Bitpalace, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  3. Host Capitol

Host Capitol Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You'll have to update your domain's name servers to point to your new hosting server. You can ask your new hosting provider to provide you with the correct name servers.

Host Capitol, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Just be aware that a DNS-change like this will take some time to propagate, so leave the old (live) site up and running for at least 24 hours after making the change.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 29, 2016 IP
  5. CharlesBui

CharlesBui Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I use mediate DNS service like as: incapsula, cloudflare, ... to manage all of my domain name. It makes me easier in management, when I want to change the server of my site to another place, I only have to point to IP to the new. But it doesn't work with 1and1 :D

CharlesBui, Apr 13, 2016 IP
  6. coolguy6415

coolguy6415 Member

Best Answers:
    Bro check with your New Service provider, they can do it for free and with expert hands its safe also.

coolguy6415, Apr 14, 2016 IP
  7. HostDash

HostDash Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    Are both servers at the same provider? If so, it might be best to request their assistance in this. Whilst it isn't a difficult task, your site is a production site so you'd want to ensure you're doing this in the best way possible.

If they're not willing to assist, feel free to reach out to me and I'll be happy to offer any assistance I can.

HostDash, Apr 14, 2016 IP