1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I stop ads showing to a member of a Usergroup in phpbb?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by neforum, Mar 20, 2006.

Apologies if already asked elsewhere.

I want to prevent ads from displaying to my members if they subscribe to my phpbb forum site. I have a Paypal button which subscribes them, then I manually add them to a Usergroup when I get the details from Paypal.

How do I make phpbb check to see if the logged in member is a member of this subscribers usergorup and stop ads displaying if they are?

I already have the Extreme Styles MOD loaded, so prevent ads being shown to registered users, but want to take it a stage further.

Hope someone can help. Cheers.

neforum, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  2. Slapyo

Slapyo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure on the actual syntax but you would have to open up the templates where you have the ad code and wrap it with an IF statement. If they are not part of those usergroups then show the ads, if they are part of the usergroups then do not show the ads.

I tried searching on the phpBB forums but it would return a white page with nothing on it. :/ You might want to make a post on the phpBB forums to see if someone can give you some sample code you can use.

Slapyo, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  3. neforum

neforum Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've put out several parallel requests, but thought i'd ask here too, as this is a forum I trust and enjoy. Someone must be a phpbb expert.

Ta.

neforum, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  4. Slapyo

Slapyo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah cool, wasn't sure so I thought I would toss it out. I used to use phpBB and knew that stuff, but I have since moved on to vBulletin which is completely different. If you do find out the answer over on phpBB would you mind posting it over here as well. I'd like to see how it's done.

Slapyo, Mar 20, 2006 IP
  5. neforum

neforum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, i'll post back. I've got a post up at www.phpbbhacks.com and a moderator has replied. He gave me an example, but it's gone a bit over my head as it's php coding and I'm not familiar with it at all.

Anyway, he says he'll give me some help, so hopefully he'll get back to me today.

neforum, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  6. Slapyo

Slapyo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you give me a link to that thread, I might be able to help out.

Slapyo, Mar 21, 2006 IP
  7. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have the same thing but I hacked the hack to automatically add a subscriber to a certain group. It's just a few lines of code. I even made it so that it adds points (cash mod) to the user too.

RectangleMan, Mar 23, 2006 IP