1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I request modifications/customization from manufactures on Alibaba?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Danton133, Jun 30, 2020.

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm doing product research for my first product, I have a few ideas that require customization because what's currently on the markets is bad quality or for purposes of differentiation.
    How do I go about contacting suppliers and convincing them to redesign their product for me?

This seems a large outlay of time and effort for them with no guarantee I would buy their product especially when I've not done this before obviously I wouldn't state this.

So why would they agree to do it?
    The ideal situation would look like this:
    I request customization > they agree to redesign the product > once complete they send samples for me to test > I order lowest possible quantity
    Is this a realistic scenario?

Is it normal for manufactures to request a cost from me for redesign/upgrade?

Or perhaps would they insist I put down a deposit on an order before commencing design work? How does this usually work?
    Thanks in advance!
    Daniel

Danton133, Jun 30, 2020 IP
  2. Samantha Louis

Samantha Louis Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Daniel!

I have been creating my own designs with factories from China for years now, so hope I am able to help you with this.

Yes, you just have to talk to the manufacturers. From my experience, you will have better luck with smaller companies. Not to say you should not try big companies as some might be open to it too.

May I know what you are trying to produce?
    I might be able to help you out directly, and I do have a great relationship with some of these Chinese factories since I have been working with them for a while now.

Your MOQ quantity should not be too low - you have to understand that it should be a win-win situation between you and the supplier / manufacturer.

It is normal that you pay for the sample to be made. I make clothes and its a norm for the first sample to be paid for by me.

It is also normal for customers to request redesign/upgrade. As for the cost of making the next sample, the manufacturer may or may not ask for it from you. For this, it depends on the manufacturer.

It is normal that buyers decide not to produce a product even after samples are made so the companies are used to the possibility of no further action from their sample making work, so no worries.

Just go ahead and talk to them! You will also understand the MOQ slowly as you ask more manufacturers about your requirement.

The first step is always the hardest, but just get it down! :)

Samantha Louis, Jul 28, 2020 IP