1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how do i promote a kung fu school

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by cchh, May 8, 2013.

Hey guys, i am from china. I now help a local kung fu school get foreign students. The school is very good, but the marketing is terrible. I have made a site, but it seems very difficult to get traffic( tried facebook, youtube, seo).. I would like to know the best way to promote. Thank you in advance.

XING

cchh, May 8, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds quite complicated tbh.

How does this work? What is the website?

Revelations-Decoder, May 8, 2013 IP
  3. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    how does the school work? Like you say you want to get foreign students? so you want to advertise that people come from US or other countries to china just to learn kungfu? To be honest, I think this would be very difficult to try to attract people to fly to different country just for lessons? Unless it is an online course?

At any rate, here is one idea that I have. You might want to try advertising in specific universities, in specific countries might help gain business.
    Like this for example:
    http://fiverr.com/jesssicaa/put-you...nnesota-where-15000-copies-are-printed-weekly
    (note: a link does not mean that I endorse this product. It is just an example)

matt_62, May 8, 2013 IP
  4. cchh

cchh Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hi matt, yes, the students have to come to china. We do have a few students here, they know us from the old students who studied here before.
    The link i checked..it's a great idea..i will give a try.
    Thank you so much.
    xing.

cchh, May 8, 2013 IP
  5. cchh

cchh Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

The site is http://china-martialarts.com

cchh, May 8, 2013 IP
  6. energetic

energetic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    create a youtube channel and publish featured videos

energetic, May 8, 2013 IP
  7. energetic

energetic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I forget to give one more important advice.
    By using adword to get instant potential lead if u have budget.

energetic, May 8, 2013 IP
  8. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would go check out ehhh, well there are a few basically but perhaps http://www.sherdog.com/ has a great forum and most likely a relevant forum as well. The thing with that site is they are sort of a militant bunch of folks and MMA is a bit different than traditional martial arts as it involves a range of different techniques from wrestling, jiu jistsu to mui thai for instance. Just be nice over there. I can try to track down a few friends that post there a lot. It will make things a bit easier for you.

Fluffy looking circular forms are a good way to get punched in the head by an mma practitioner but that is a discussion for another day.

Is there a form in particular the school focuses on? Wing Chung? Animal forms? Shaolin?

Happy to try to steer you in the right direction though. I know just enough kung fu to get beat senseless lol..

One fantastic idea is to make some videos, even if its just sticky hands practice and put them on youtube. In fact, i would give them a channel and try to do one a week and also post them on their site.

For Americans at least, a huge draw of going to China to study is the mystique of not only the area but the school itself.

Its pretty trivial to do these days and in terms of post production on the video, you just need someone to slap the school logo on the front of it, demonstrate something and then stick the logo with a bit of text after its over. You can or should probably keep them fairly short as well.

Things like this for instance

In terms of videos think maybe a concept that can be fleshed out in like a week or so. Even most of the sticky hands practice videos on the web are pretty bad.

Also, bear in mind that anyone who is inclined to travel to china is going to already be skilled in some sense or another.

With that said, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is huge these days so anything grappling related would probably be pretty good to attract some attention.

If you would like to drop me a note with a link to the site I would be happy to help. Its interesting stuff.
    hope that helps a bit.

EDIT: oops, sorry, saw the link. I will send you a few notes, that site looks great. I know what to do :)

EDIT 2: That could very well be the most rambling, unfocused response I ever made here...(pats self on head).

Nigel

Last edited: May 8, 2013
    Nigel Lew, May 8, 2013 IP
  9. indiasbull

indiasbull Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    go to some other countries beat bad guys and get famous

indiasbull, May 8, 2013 IP
  10. affilorama

affilorama Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is one way to get more traffic to the site. Set up like 3 to 5 min videos showing one lesson or one technique they can learn from the school and make sure you have a link to the site on the YouTube vid. You can then share the YouTube vid on various social media sites.

I noticed the site has a "blog" section but there is nothing posted there. You might want to have old and new students share their experiences and what they learned from the school in that section of the site. Those posts can also be shared on social media sites to further promote the site

Hope that helps. Have a good day!

affilorama, May 8, 2013 IP
  11. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have to agree with the YouTube thing.

Make some promo videos.

Do something different that stands out and emphasise the "Shaolin" technique as you do on your home/index page. Bruce Lee made that the most famous technique of all.

As crazy as it sounds Bruce Lee already did your advertising for the style for you. You just need to steer that groundwork he did to you. Use Bruce Lees name as a tag as well as Shaolin to catch viewers.

You need videos that people will want to send to their friends.

Tips for self defence or something amazing which people will find interesting enough to send to others.

For a Chinese site the English on the site is very good. The on site SEO isn't bad either for that matter. Though I only had a quick look tbh.

Revelations-Decoder, May 9, 2013 IP
  12. Indiabulls

Indiabulls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Show some skills online via videos to youtube members. Perform some skills in local malls with your students. Capture those moments & upload them to YouTube. Upload videos that exictes people. Or try for a genius record with your students. If you got fame you got your name.

Indiabulls, May 9, 2013 IP
  13. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should promote the school along side a tour package or hostel to attract young or middle age foreigners. You should even offer shopping excursions depending upon the locale of the school. If you have contacts in the U.S., U.K. or wherever else you should send them an marketing email promoting the school and students in training session and the school's location. Just some ideas.

muffet, May 14, 2013 IP
  14. junior777

junior777 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could create a facebook fan page and then use facebook PPC to get new students.
    You could create a YouTube channel and then promote that as well
    Use the blog feature on your site and start performing keyword research to find terms that can generate more clients. Use the Google Keyword Tool.
    Go to VistaPrint.com and get FREE business cards and pass them out in your community.

junior777, May 14, 2013 IP
  15. gkuang2

gkuang2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can market on youtube, do some PPC, do SEO to rank for keywords, look for clients on martial arts forums, you should also call up groupon type sites and maybe include one of your packages into their vacation deals or something.

gkuang2, May 14, 2013 IP
  16. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I'd suggest continue using YouTube. Keep posting awesome fights and training sessions. I think you need to concentrate on visual media outlets (YouTube and other video sites) rather than textual advertising. Creating great looking BANNER ads through AdWords can get you some following as well.

qwikad.com, May 15, 2013 IP