1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Do I Make My Images Smaller/but Keep The Quality!!?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by ayork2413, Dec 19, 2008.

As you can see, my site has alot of images, some of which are over 450KB in size! I had great difficulty keeping image quality when changing them to anything other then PNG format...What can I do with the PNG images (such as the 1,000 flash website templates) to make them smaller, yet keep the same quality?

thanks ahead!

ayork2413, Dec 19, 2008 IP
  2. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    smaller in filesize or smaller in dimensions?

Try a program like PNGcrush or something to optimize your PNG's for the web - also, if you're saving them from Photoshop, use the export for web and not the 'save as' feature to get rid of half of the bloat.

innovati, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  3. lilokster

lilokster Member

Best Answers:
    In Photoshop you can reduce the dimensions and keep the quality. Then you can click save for web and save them as gifs or png's. That will greatly reduce the size.

lilokster, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  4. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    only don't save them as GIF's, because they're not going to be full quality unless you only use a few colours, where PNG is lossless

Oh, and it's an old format made by a long bankrupt company.

Oh, and it doesn't support gamma correction or variable transparency.

innovati, Dec 20, 2008 IP
  5. mytvtalk

mytvtalk Active Member

Best Answers:
    i didnt know if you set the dimensions in html it would lower the quality, thanks for this bit of information

mytvtalk, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  6. designz

designz Peon

Best Answers:
    Try TimThumb. Its a really nifty script. I use it for my wordpress themes. What it does it echos an image which you set the
    height=h
    width=w
    zoom / crop which is 1 or 0 = zc
    quality =q
    also the image location :D

designz, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  7. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Install image resizer from microsoft power tools. Just right click the image, select resize from the pop up menu and select the image size you want.

I take a lot of pictures in 5, 7 and 8 megapixel. Using this free tool from microsoft I can resize dozens even hundreds of images with just a couple of clicks. Its free and will save you a lot of time and effort.

Follow this link - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Scroll about 1/2 way down the page and look for Image Resizer.

~kev~, Dec 22, 2008 IP
  8. Splash

Splash Guest

Best Answers:
    Just use Photoshop's image adjustment options. Find the Image Size option, and you can adjust accordingly.

Splash, Dec 23, 2008 IP
  9. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You talk about photoshop like its free. Either that, or a lot of the members here have a tree in their front yard that grows photoshop CDs.

~kev~, Dec 23, 2008 IP
  10. RobPinnacle

RobPinnacle Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried changing the format that there saved in? From .gif to .png and back and forth? You can also change the 'saved bit rate' although it may require a compressor.

RobPinnacle, Dec 24, 2008 IP
  11. Mackarov

Mackarov Peon

Best Answers:
    An application I like to use just for resizing due to its simplicity is Paint Shop Pro. Also much easier on the pocketbook as some members have already pointed out.

Mackarov, Dec 24, 2008 IP
  12. Tsid

Tsid Peon

Best Answers:
    As i can see, dimensions in html affect quality if you set an unproportional size or a size, your original that does not divide on evently. say, if you set an image which is 300x600 to 150x300, you'll not feel quality loss. As i think, the cause is the simplicity of browsers "on-the-run" resizing algorythms.

Tsid, Dec 26, 2008 IP
  13. ryuenplay

ryuenplay Member

Best Answers:
    One way of preventing or limiting the image quality loss is to use the image size from the image tab or just press ALT+CTRL+I, then adjust the document size resolution higher ex. from 72->300 pixels/inch, after that adjust the pixel dimensions to your preffered width and height, then always use the save for web and devices feature for saving your images, make sure you adjust the quality settings when saving for different image formats.

ryuenplay, Dec 29, 2008 IP