1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I get Altavista to update page links?

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by net4ward, May 6, 2004.

I have recently updated my website with a new design which resulted in new pages to replace the old pages. The index page contains links to the new pages.

I still have the old pages stored on the site, and my problem is that Altavista is still showing the "old" pages and not the new pages.

Example: Page1.html was replaced with bio.html. Altavista is still showing the Page1.html when I search the site on AltaVista.

How do I get Altavista to update their links/pages?

Should I use a META tag to refresh to the new page, or should I use Apache's Redirect command in the .htaccess file to redirect the request to the new page.

Which would be the best way so I do not loose the listing at Altavista (since they apparently have switched to a Pay for listing program)?

Thanks,

John

net4ward, May 6, 2004 IP
  2. wizardofx

wizardofx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    let's face it, Altavista is dead. Once she was the coolest thing on the internet, but they made some mistakes, got passed around, and now she is dead. I have pages that have been ranked #1 with Google for 5 months that have not been picked at all up by Altavista, or her ugly stepsisters either.

Altavista has been relying past momentum, but now she is running on fumes. She can't be relied on to give current results, and if you want to view paid advertising there are plenty of sites out there that do that without pretending that they are search engines. It is sad.

best regards
    wiz

wizardofx, May 22, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Right now, the best thing about Alta Vista is Babel Fish. But even that be being eroded away by Google's translation tools.

digitalpoint, May 22, 2004 IP
  4. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    I still use the babel fish- and I wouldn't worry about altavista- its about as useful as hotbot

schlottke, May 22, 2004 IP
  5. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the others. When I read your post the thought that went through my mind was "who cares?".

But I suppose the real question is what traffic do you get from AltaVista? If you are getting any serious amount of traffic then of cousre you should care. But I will be really surprised if you are getting even 1/2 of 1% of you traffic from AltaVista.

compar, May 22, 2004 IP
  6. wizardofx

wizardofx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually in the last week, zero. I wonder if they
    have combined reporting with Yahoo, because
    I usually get about 3% of my referrals from Altavista.

But you are right, even though each visitor is
    precious, Altavista hasn't been contributing many lately.

wiz

wizardofx, May 24, 2004 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I still use altavista quite often for their image search- they usually give more results than google.

that's about it though.

disgust, Jun 2, 2004 IP
  8. vinyl

vinyl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i will give it a try (their image search)... being honest, i didnt know they have it at all :)

vinyl, Jun 7, 2004 IP