1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I delist a site from Bing/Yahoo?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by druidelder, Mar 23, 2011.

Here's the situation, we have two related sites. One is the public portion where content is displayed and one is more like an intranet site for content to be generated. We want people to be able to find the public site (1mill+ page views a day, people can find it no problem). However, we don't want people stumbling across the intranet site. We have asked people not to link back to that site, but they do any way. We intentionally delisted our site from the Google index. For the life of me I cannot find any way to intentionally delist a site from the Bing/Yahoo results.

Besides violating Bing rules and then pointing it out to them, anybody know of a way to do this? If I set up webmaster tools for Bing, can I do it from there?

druidelder, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  2. tjsocr22

tjsocr22 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Make a robot.txt file on your server and put something similar to this in it:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /search
    Disallow: /admin
    # End robots.txt file

This will stop almost any search engine from listing the specific pages you don't want to list in it's index. As soon as Bing/Yahoo re-crawl your website they will pick up this file automatically and delete the pages/folders you specify in the robots.txt file that you don't want indexed.

tjsocr22, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  3. druidelder

druidelder Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't realize that would cause them to delist it. Thanks.

druidelder, Mar 24, 2011 IP