1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I add parentheses to a facebook page?

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by goldenpathsolutions, Mar 21, 2019.

My client is a pharmaceutical company, and I'm creating a Facebook page for them. Their product needs to include a word in parentheses as part of the brand name, but Facebook comes back with an error and won't let me add them. They don't allow symbols on page names.

I see that other pages DO include parentheses, and some even include the registered trademark symbol (®), which their instructions explicitly mention as prohibited. See attached screen shots.

Any ideas how to get around this?

Note that this is a page and not an account. I know accounts let you add a nickname that shows in parentheses, but I haven't seen a similar option for business pages.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Screen-Shot-2019-03-21-at-9.15.58-AM.jpg Screen-Shot-2019-03-21-at-9.16.04-AM.jpg

goldenpathsolutions, Mar 21, 2019 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Did you look at the code for those pages? If you do that and emulate what they did you should be able to do the same thing.

Off the top of my head I suspect that they used character entities to do that. If they did, then do the same thing.

mmerlinn, Mar 23, 2019 IP
  3. goldenpathsolutions

goldenpathsolutions Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice, @mmerlinn!

The text in the source for the page shows the Trokendi page using regular parentheses characters, although it's certainly possible a code was used while editing the page name, and was then converted to the character on output.

I did a little testing, and found that the HTML Entity Names (( ) ) pass validation, but they don't get translated to the characters on the page. I tried using the Entity Numbers (( &#41), but validation doesn't let me use the pound sign. I also tried a few variations on the Unicode symbol (\u0028 \u0029), but the code showed rather than the symbol (like the entity numbers).

This DID give me the idea of trying other characters, which produced an interesting result. It turns out the "ornament" parenthesis characters are allowed. So, while I wasn't able to use the normal parentheses, I could use: ❨ and ❩ as opposed to ( and ). Similarly, you can use the special bold characters.

So that may be a reasonable alternative solution (counting that as a win!), but it doesn't answer the question of how our other example used regular parentheses.

Any other ideas? Maybe I just didn't enter the right character entity codes? I know there are things like @-codes you can use to get interesting results. Could there be a code that lets me use character entities?

Thanks again for your help!

test_character-name.png test_ornamental.png trokendi_html.png trokendi_inspector_.png

goldenpathsolutions, Mar 23, 2019 IP