1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How did YOU master English?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by dyadvisor, Jul 9, 2010.

1. zhoom

zhoom Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a native English speaker but one thing I do find is my vocabulary is not as extensive as I would like.

So what did I do? I set my homepage to Merriam Webster's Word of the Day page and try to use the word as often as possible in conversation. http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/mwwod.pl

In terms of improving English, I would recommend budding writers look at finding different ways of constructing a sentence. This helps give your writing some variety and can turn a boring article into an exciting read!

zhoom, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  2. zhoom

zhoom Peon

Best Answers:
    Makin a genaral statment to reprimande the hole of DP in reasponse to won singal post is a bowled moove. Of course sum ppl don,t alwayzz spell propurly and use gud gramma but so wot? Are u perfuct?

zhoom, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  3. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dang! That's prefect Engluisch if I ever readit :D

Kraven2, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  4. damoolag

damoolag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol! kewl zhooum!

damoolag, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  5. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    SERIOUSLY, IF ABLE, WATCH A TV COURT SHOW IN AMERICA It is better than a half hour or hour comedy show. Try to decipher what the plaintiff and defendants are really saying. You will be proud of your current English abilities.

dyadvisor, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  6. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm talking about DP, means average DP users. Sure, there are great English speakers and writer.
    No one is perfect.

omarabid, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  7. zhoom

zhoom Peon

Best Answers:
    So I guess you would fall into the category of "average DP users"....

zhoom, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  8. instant87

instant87 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The only way you can truly "master" English is by speaking it your entire life and living in countries like the US, UK, or Australia. Sure, you may know English at a "native" level, but you can't make your writing flow just by knowing the language alone.

instant87, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  9. iNET SEO

iNET SEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    I blame my parents for making me read so much when I was younger :D but that's a good thing.

Always excelled at English and then 15 years of writing for banks, IT companies and top 100's, helps you define your styles from there on in.

I would say to those wanting to polish up, read lots, then read some more :)

iNET SEO, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  10. joshvelco

joshvelco Peon

Best Answers:
    I am British so I have grown up with English as my first language. I agree that watching TV (especially American [no offence DP'ers from the US]) is very bad for your English. The television in the USA contains far more slang and non-standard spellings e.g optimization instead of optimisation. I'm not saying that the Americans can't spell, it's just they have invented their own spellings, and uses of words e.g an elevator - device for travelling to different stories in a building; is used where the British would use 'lift'; though elevator is infact a more appropriate word. Either way, anyone who speaks English from Europe will speak British English, whereas the majority of people who speak English from Asia will speak US English.

joshvelco, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  11. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very true, which has led me into various arguments with US natives on grammar and spelling :)

Kraven2, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  12. Helado

Helado Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I was born in England, I am English and was raised in England so that explains itself... although nowadays more people speak Arabic. ;)

Helado, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  13. seo.raj

seo.raj Active Member

Best Answers:
    If any body want to improve his English. Then he need to listen english news and read news paper also regular. For improving written skills need to participate forums, blog posting and debate them. It is good way to improving vocabulary.

seo.raj, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  14. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

You folks probably need to do something about that. France is already going to have a problem in about 70 so years with other countries speaking more French than they do.

Blue Star Ent., Jul 13, 2010 IP
    robjones likes this.
  15. zhoom

zhoom Peon

Best Answers:
    So purely based on population size, we should clearly target US English, right?? :p

I have been down that track also as my English is very much British based (grew up in New Zealand, live in Australia), but my problems really started when I met an American girl and lived there for 3 years...Now I've had many arguments, seen both sides of the equation and am really confused!

I figure the British vs American English argument is like the old toilet seat up or down argument; some like it one way, some like it the other...Just adapt to suit your environment/market/angry wife etc...:)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
    zhoom, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  16. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know based on which criteria you made your guess, but I'll assume I'm below average.

omarabid, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  17. zhoom

zhoom Peon

Best Answers:
    Might have been this post...

zhoom, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  18. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    No hard feelings please, but should not "I am English" be "I am British?"

"that explains itself" what explains what?"

"although nowadays more people speak Arabic." <--> "although more people speak Arabic nowadays."

Even though English was my second language in school, I am indebted to my late father, Enid Blyton, and Agatha Christie for whatever little of the Queen's English that I know.

parsibagan, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  19. briana123

briana123 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been reading a lot of literary stuff (both classic and contemporary) for years. But it seldom helps content writers. If you are writing for a website, then it is advisable that you read on the internet. Internet writing requires sharp skills as you have to get your message across by writing a few words, with a condition that search engine finds your piece attractive enough ;D Not many books can help in this regard, but regular reading and writing surely does.

briana123, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  20. maxipr

maxipr Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, my tip is reading grammar books 1 hour a day and read good sites such as bbc or reuters. patience is the last factor

maxipr, Jul 15, 2010 IP