1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How did YOU master English?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by dyadvisor, Jul 9, 2010.

Mastering of the English language for writing is not the easy. By God, please do not watch an American TV Court show. The ghetto talk and Ebonics said would send an English teacher purposely running in front of a speeding school bus.

For those who need books, buy a fantastic supply of used books at either Half.com (owned by Ebay) or use Amazon.com. For example at Half.com, asking $96.00 for a new copy, has available a good copy for $0.75 (plus shipping). For The Least You Should Know about English: Writing Skills : Form C , 306 pages. Amazon.com had at a current $1.00 charge (plus shipping) English 2600 with Writing Applications. Text and Tests, probably at least $50.00 new.

Please tell how you developed skills to make you equivalent or better than many USA or British writers-----
    Do you still think you are at a disadvantage?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
    dyadvisor, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  2. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    By reading blogs and article, contributing to forums and online communities. School was also important at the beginning.

omarabid, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  3. damoolag

damoolag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah School is a big "PLUS" too.

damoolag, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  4. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Even though I was born and raised in the USA, spoke english all my life, and took 2 years college english - I feel that I have only an average grasp of the vocabulary.

The thing with english, its so complicated and the rules change every X number of years. My english teacher in college, he said that about 20% of the english language changes every 100 years. By the time you reach middle age, some of the words you used in your youth have totally different meanings.

Take the letter "s" for example, and when does it define ownership, and when does it make a word plural. Do you add an "es" at the end, 's, s', or just s. That is 4 possible different combinations for every time you need to use an "s" on the end of a word.

It's enough to make me want to scream, and throw the computer monitor out the window.

I have given up on "trying" to master the english language - I'll just try to do the best I can, and leave it at that.

~kev~, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  5. Fem

Fem Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was blessed to have chances to be in touch with people from around the globe, especially the research fellows who often stayed with my brother [He is having a hub for global visitors including the representatives from UN, Foreign Governments etc]. In addition, I was in love with this "sweet" language, not an expert though...!

Fem, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  6. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I knew English even before I went to school, thanks to British television. School just polished the rough edges.
    Later on I read all the English classics, in English of course, because nothing is as intense as reading the real words the writer used, instead of a translation where parts of the meaning and intent gets lost.

I always watch English and American movies, I NEVER use the subtitles and turn those off, as it annoys me.

And last I have been working online running several businesses and my client base always was dominated by US residents, so whenever I chatted, mailed, or did anything online, it was in English. Some times I think I have a better grasp on English then my own language(Dutch) :D

Kraven2, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  7. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    These postings are very helpful. I just wish you could add a little clarification when you mention School., please explain. Were these standard classes or an extra one you personal took?
    As for those you that do not mind, please state your country. I should have also asked, what do you recommend to people of your country not as well versed do. What method works for perfecting English?

Thanks for your input-----------------------------------------------

dyadvisor, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  8. wordman1

wordman1 Member

Best Answers:
    My personal vocabulary jumped through the roof when I started to read Stephen King books early on in HS. As your vocab grows, your overall communication ability grows.

BTW, great post Don :)

wordman1, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  9. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Standard English class, I slept through most of it, to easy, no challenge :D

That makes for angry and annoyed English teachers though!

Kraven2, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  10. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I took the standard english classes all the way through 12th grade.

After I finished high school, I took 2 more years of college english - those were mostly essay writing and writing research papers.

I really enjoyed my english 102 class, which was the second year of college english. The teacher was engaging, and we covered a lot of information. Every class we read some kind of short story and discussed it. I probably did more homework in my second year english class then I did in a long time.

~kev~, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  11. BaveBr52

BaveBr52 Peon

Best Answers:
    Luckily, I' m native English speaker - but if you want to learn to write English correclty then Elements of Style by William Stunk is the book.

Dave.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
    BaveBr52, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  12. omarabid

Best Answers:
    English is a complicated and hard language? Come on! What about if you tried Arabic. English is easiest language I have ever seen (it's even easier than Spanish in Grammatical rules). Dead simple rules. Exception occurs, but not often. Just get over them.

omarabid, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  13. bawx

bawx Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a native speaker, does that count?

bawx, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  14. DwTs

DwTs Peon

Best Answers:
    Tons and tons of novels right from the cradle. I think I surpass the natives cuz of that.

DwTs, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  15. Live2Write

Live2Write Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am a writer in the making and on a learning curve.

I'd read a lot of comics/stories and novels to cope with latchkey syndrome. And at schoo,l I always excelled in English; a GPA of 9.6/10.0 at Bachelor's level also gave some kind of confidence. I've to thank my wonderful English teachers at this point. They never forced the subject on me and I'd nurtured that love for the English from my nappie days I suppose. :)

Mastery? Horizons away from me - I chose to write just because I love to do that.

Live2Write, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  16. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Tough Questions for Internet People! I myself applied English Grammar School Basics over internet and improved over 75% of written and spoken English, before using internet i was totally unaware to right a single sentence of English! in the mastering process i done lots of chat with native speakers along Digital Point culture also help me to innovate new Communication Ideas towards the perfection

jezzz, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  17. rakker126

rakker126 Peon

Best Answers:
    I simply did not, im from an other country.

rakker126, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  18. omarabid

Best Answers:
    Digital Point has the worst English in the Internet. Ever. Here are some mistakes you made:

- i is I
    - Learn to use , and ; and .
    - write and not right

omarabid, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  19. True North

True North Peon

Best Answers:
    I am still struggling, especially with prepositions. I am a Filipino and we have only one preposition, making it difficult to nail down the most appropriate preposition to use in a sentence. However, the following has helped me a lot to efficiently use English as my second language:

1. I read a lot. When I was a child, my parents told me that to be able to lead, I must read. So I did and still do, and I do it aloud so I can hear and correct myself.

2. I have friends who correct me when I am wrong. I learned to accept criticisms and use them to improve myself. Later, I joined a writers' circle.

3. I read and reread my second-hand Chicago Manual of Style.

4. I put myself to test. I take grammar quizzes online.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
    True North, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  20. aru2007

aru2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    To begin with, I learnt english at school. But later, I started developing interest in television and movies(ofcourse english ones). I would say that fiction helped me a lot too. Another thing that helped me was interacting with my friends in english. Finally, I can't ignore the fact that I have been writing for quite sometime and this writing experience made me a better writer.

aru2007, Jul 10, 2010 IP