1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How did you encourage your first few members to keep posting?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by MortimerJazz, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Foxx

Foxx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't ignore or not reply to their posts. Try to keep a conversation with your members in their threads. At the same time work on bringing more members. If the forum starts to grow in a short period of time you have a better chance of the members sticking around.

Foxx, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  2. gameaholica

gameaholica Member

Best Answers:
    I have a core group of members now... I try and keep fresh topics, one or two forum games, and I have held contest... a "Member Appreciation Quarterly Contest" and right now I have a xbox live competition about to start in two days for three people to win a copy of Battle Zone on XBox Live.

Just be creative and interesting. Also.. people like it when you care about what they want, I listen to feedback on the website and make changes based on the majority.

gameaholica, Jul 16, 2008 IP
  3. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What kind of nitch do you have? Do you happen to have a forum section where you can post projects that are related to your forum?

One thing I did, in my gardening section I posted a sticky about "Gardening Projects". It goes something like this - each member can create a thread, which will be made into a sticky for the garden season. The member has to keep the thread updated with pictures and maybe videos (hosted on youtube and embedded into the froum). Last summer there was some response, this spring / summer about a dozen members posted their garden projects.

These threads are getting hundreds of views and dozens of replies. Once the garden dies off, the thread is released from the sticky position. If the garden project was outstanding, the user receives an award badge and the thread is moved into an "Articles" section of the forum.

The site gets good content, the members get recognized for their efforts and everyone is happy.

Since the garden projects are seasonal, every spring and fall we get a new batch of "Garden Projects".

This does require some work by the admin. If the member does not post an update to their garden every 30 days, I will post a reminder. If the member leaves the community, the thread is unstuck so it can move down the list.

~kev~, Jul 17, 2008 IP
  4. Cruelio.com

Cruelio.com Peon

Best Answers:
    wish I could my forum has been completely destroyed by spammers.

Cruelio.com, Jul 17, 2008 IP
  5. jamesww

jamesww Peon

Best Answers:
    Can anyone give me some advice on how to get a forum about Texas real estate started. I would appreciate it greatly.

jamesww, Jul 17, 2008 IP
  6. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's a tough topic imho to have deep convo except maybe with realtors. Best bet..start emailing them one at a time inviting them to your forum. Make sure your forums is well laid out and ready for them when you invite them.

RectangleMan, Jul 18, 2008 IP