1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How did John Chow Blog get so popular?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by willyboy104, Nov 13, 2008.

1. willyboy104

willyboy104 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah it definitely is but hey he is already a success so I don't think this will have much of an effect on him or his blog. It would be nice if he took notice though.

I am not sure if it was banned or just sandboxed or something. Basically I think he was knocked down in the search engines or de ranked however he has built it back up now although he still isn't first. I am not sure if it was because he sold links on his site or something like this, that might of been the cause of the decrease in Pagerank for his blog and several other blogs a year or two ago.

willyboy104, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  2. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.

That's basically it.

He has been at it for over two years, and you do enough submissions (like to DIGG), advertising, and whatnot, and then give it time, the numbers will add up.

Then you throw in the fact that he showed people how he makes money helped quite a bit. Obviously.

It's not a big deal, if you think about it.

As for making $30,000 a month. Not even close. Maybe $3,000, if not a bit more.

His traffic has gone down quite a bit, though. Maybe 50%. This clearly shows he is overrated.

Anyway, it just goes to show that a webmaster has to keep publishing good content. (Which Chow can't.) A webmaster can't rely on all of the same people coming back, time after time.

copper12, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  3. markowe

markowe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, often wondered about the phenomenon of John Chow - basically his blog is poo. I mean, half the time he is going on about what restaurant he ate in last night and other such gripping subjects. Compelling reading, I don't think.

But he definitely got onto something - maybe it was the "self-fulfilling prophecy" of going on about money all the time and how much he earned from the Internet. He did make plenty of good moves too, I remember the AdWords ads he placed on Darren Rowse's site (ProBlogger) saying something like "Click here and make Darren Rowse money, you know you want to!" - it was hard to resist!

He will have to come up with some new moves though, probably. He is still well and truly Google-slapped - try a search for "John Chow" - he is still nowhere to be seen. It's almost like a personal disagreement - guess he could kiss and make up with Google any time he wanted , by publicly denouncing his link-selling activities or something. Then again, he still has a huge RSS readership and still seems to be selling plenty of ad-space, so the myth is probably still going strong. Can't say I've read his blog in a long time though...

markowe, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  4. tiger325

tiger325 Peon

Best Answers:
    he saw what worked and jumped on it

tiger325, Nov 17, 2008 IP
  5. ronmac

ronmac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Viral marketing. like darren rowse he is a pro marketeer. They both got into the whole " make money online" thing well before most people. Other "make money online" bloggers follow him and refer to his site and trackback. Hes not all that as he thinks he bigger than google, thats why he gets google slapped.

I prefer problogger as daren has gone for quality rather than trying to sell a john chow dream. I take my hat off to all of them though. money talks and thats the bottom line

ronmac, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  6. atulperx

atulperx Banned

Best Answers:
    Only main positive point on such guys are that when we were learning blogging they mastered them and started promoting them is fast speed and everybody started following them .

atulperx, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  7. lockpc

lockpc Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, i think we should learn from him as he's a genius and a success icon!

lockpc, Nov 18, 2008 IP
  8. Meanna Blog

Meanna Blog Banned

Best Answers:
    Let's not forget that there is a huge amount to be said for 'consistency'. How many of us really stick at blogging like John has?

Meanna Blog, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  9. viperxx

viperxx Peon

Best Answers:
    Funny :D. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

viperxx, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  10. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    "Genius"???

Well, ok, then.

copper12, Nov 19, 2008 IP
  11. pjk

pjk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  12. Fawfull

Fawfull Banned

Best Answers:
    Is he still making 30.00+ a month? Does he still give monthly income reports?

Fawfull, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  13. willyboy104

Best Answers:
    Yeah he is sometimes touching upon the $40,000+ plus mark a month now and yes he still gives reports out of what products/advertising programs he uses to do this.

willyboy104, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  14. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's pretty amazing what some people will believe what they read.

Hey, I heard one month he made $58,000!

heh.

copper12, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  15. braane

braane Peon

Best Answers:
    He has an evil band of followers catering to his every whim. He talks a whole lot of nonsense and very little advice. He gets by with it on name recognition.

braane, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  16. markowe

Best Answers:
    It's true that people do lie sometimes. It's not inconceivable in this case either. Though he may be a fine, honest upstanding citizen - I couldn't really say either way.

markowe, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  17. willyboy104

Best Answers:
    Considering he has 40,000 RSS Readers I think its a pretty realistic figure that he would make $40,000 a month.

willyboy104, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  18. markowe

Best Answers:
    Regular readers don't tend to convert that well because of ad blindness and whatnot. Then again, I suppose he earns LOADS from referring them to every new service that comes along, so that could be one source...

markowe, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  19. fire3fly

fire3fly Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly, he does have name brand recognition. He is a very good self-promoter, and there are tons of blogs and websites that refer to him.

I think that he also did a lot of hard work for years to build up name recognition like that.

He's definitely a smart marketer.

Carmen

fire3fly, Nov 20, 2008 IP
  20. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Willyboy, how many of those 40,000 RSS readers are still active?

And how does he make money off of them to equal the supposed $30,000 a month? Or is it $40,000? Or is it $50,000? or is it....?

He doesn't.

How do you equate the two?

Knock off a zero from whatever figure you guys are assuming he makes, and that would be more accurate. Which, in my book is still good, impressive.

And, uh, he is not a marketing genius. He, might, be a smart marketer. He is definitely an experienced marketer.

He just did little things, like submitted to DIGG, and, he advertises. Well, at one time he did. Do this enough times, and overtime, the traffic builds.

This is nothing spectacular. Jeez, I wish you guys in this thread would use your brain. No offense, but man.

I'm hungry, so I think I will go read his blog now. :D

copper12, Nov 20, 2008 IP