1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How did Alive & Aviva became so popular?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by olddocks, Jul 3, 2007.

1. rajanforums

rajanforums Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought of starting a directory. After reading this thread i changed my mind. I still need to learn a lot in directory.

rajanforums, Jul 6, 2007 IP
  2. SEOdir.net

SEOdir.net Banned

Best Answers:
    rajanforums, why not just start a free directory ? :)

SEOdir.net, Jul 7, 2007 IP
  3. nate_king1

nate_king1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, why not. I'm not saying AvivaDirectory didn't do LinkBait, or other quality link building techniques (They had so many Digg articles and look at strongest directories), but I'd say most of their web directory is fueled by bought link juice.

Which is why they are in the top 10 web directories.

nate_king1, Jul 25, 2007 IP
  4. 010081

010081 Banned

Best Answers:
    hard work passion and money

010081, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  5. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Promotion Promotion promotion

malcolm1, Jul 26, 2007 IP
    onlinedude likes this.
  6. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi all,

It has been suggested to me my more than one member, that I turn my site into a directory, so the above statement is right to the point. Is there a long-term value proposition to a directory? What is the business model for creating a good revenue stream (i.e, making more than one is spending)? Is this type of site to susceptible to the whims of Google, since lots depends upon the PR ranking? Or do I have the business proposition of directories all wrong?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Rich

richrf, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Marketing smarts and hard work.

dcristo, Jul 26, 2007 IP
    onlinedude likes this.
  8. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Hello...

Yes agreed Links.com does sound very attractive indeed...;)

I suggest you look a bit first then once you are positive then refer to a few good threads concerning starting a directory...

thx
    malcolm

9. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Malcom,

Thanks for the reply. It does seem like a natural fit, but I wonder whether there is a long-term business proposition here? Suppose Google just decides to devalue all links from a directory and give them very low PR? Is the future of such a site totally dependent upon the whims of Google or is there a solid value proposition underlying directories that I may be missing. I haven't used a directory in years and nowadays rely on Google. Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Rich

richrf, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  10. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Like i said look around first... That domain has a lot off potential ;)

As for the directory industry its hott right now in that its still early enough
    in the game and i see us moving forward rather then backwards, and the
    roles the web directory played a few years back is totally different then todays
    yet it still wont die and new variations coming out daily so...

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=3893788&postcount=1 <--- a nice guide to starting a new directory

thx
    malcolm

11. vicdigi

vicdigi Banned

Best Answers:
    money talks and b*llsh*t walks - that is the key to success

of course, intelligent marketing goes hand in hand

vicdigi, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  12. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I agree. This was a very nice article. However, it does not discuss the value proposition nor does it go about discussing the potential revenue streams. If there is an article that would precede this article, i.e. "Should you spend money building a directory and why?", I would be most interested in reading it. Mostly I am interested in the potential ROI of investing in directories and is it strictly dependent upon the way Google's algorithm us currently implemented. As an aside, I noticed that Business.com sold for a very nice price though it is not clear to me how much was paid in cash, how much is due based upon future revenues, and how much was invested in order to get the company's technology to place it is today.

Rich

richrf, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  13. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Im sure everything is available if you do a search for it..;)
    If you look at webmasters at sitepoint forums
    you will see were the price is costly for a Good Quality Directory
    and some start at $16,000 and can get as expensive as $32,000
    and more depending on investment and host of other factors...
    And simply Put... Everything has its price... :D

thx
    malcolm

14. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Malcom,

I have been watching and discussing this topic on several forums for some time. So far, I have not found anyone that can clearly articulate the business value proposition. If it is based upon selling links to gain better PR, then this is what I would consider a very high risk proposition, since with the stroke of a keyboard, Google can erase this business proposition.

The other possibility is to build an underlying, specialized search/directory engine designed to create advertising revenue. This is what Business.com apparently did. I know that there is lots of excitement about the huge sale, but consider:

1) They probably spent over $100,000 to build the underlying technology
    2) It is not clear how much the investors received in cash and how much is deferred based upon future revenue projections. Clearly Donnelly is trying to resuscitate its dying paper business, but this a bit of gamble unless they have plans on how to continue to grow revenue. In either case Donnelly as a tremendous amount of experience and leverage in this business, which probably makes the investment a good gamble - at least a better gambit than betting on PR value.

If there has been a good discussion on the whole concept of building directories, on any forum, I would greatly appreciate a link. I have been watching most of the forums for over six months and have not seen any.

Thanks again for your assistance. It has been very helpful.

Regards,
    Rich

richrf, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  15. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure that domain of yours would go for X,XXX to XX,XXX at some forums.

Directories, by their nature, are two-sided. Most people say they build their directory for the end visitor, though this is rarely the case. This would imply they add quality site themselves along with paid listings. A lot of directories don't do this. This side of directories implies people actually submit to directories for the traffic it sends. Not the case usually.

The other side of the coin is the link value. SEO and Google. Everyone is so worried about these two things and feel submitting to quality directories helps with both. I agree. But to a certain extent.

For the real success of a directory to take place (the kind that is long term), one must have a brand (links.com is perfect :)), build something of value (no out of the box script) and offer more than paid listings. Submit sites yourself to your directory. Have a recipes, lyrics, directions, restuarant, etc. sections of your site; so people have a reason to come to your site.

Sometimes I think directory owners (including myself at times) are narrow minded and don't understand there is more than PR and DP webmasters.

People hate hearing what Rand has to say, but he is right about a lot of it. Not all, but a lot.

You probably wont find too much discussion about building a directory that is highly customized, as you would probably want to succed. I wrote a blog entry that touched the subject on how to succed in the directory business, albeit on a much smaller scale than business.com. You can find it here: http://www.magx.net/blog/

MattEvers, Jul 26, 2007 IP
    onlinedude likes this.
  16. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is a well conceived fact that directories are so much dependent on google. Google only gives value to trusted directories. I believe instead of focusing on PR and making quick money, we should build a quality directory for traffic.

olddocks, Jul 27, 2007 IP
    britishguy likes this.
  17. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is exactly the point I have focused on for months traffic and offering value to both new and existing Review Listings

More traffic brings in more value and encourages site development :)

britishguy, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  18. cctv72

cctv72 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not a miracle. It is the result of

cctv72, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  19. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I have been offered six figures for links.com, but the site is not for sale. Right now I am focusing my attention on building a site with a good value proposition, which is why I am investigating directories.

My first inclination several months ago was to build a directory. It is a natural for a name like links. However, I could not figure out a business value proposition that I could feel comfortable with. I didn't want the destiny of my site to be solely dependent on the way Google's algorithms work now and the future. It could change at any time, and Google could target directories (as they are now doing), if they so choose.

If I can come up with a unique directory idea that provides worthwhile information and encourages repeat traffic, then I would like to pursue it. So far, I haven't seen anything that I can get excited about, but I am going to keep looking at possibilities. Even Aviva, which seems to be a well regarded directory, has gone absolutely no where in the last few years:

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=aviva.com

If anyone can point me to a directory which visitors actually use (besides Yahoo and DMOZ), and has a nice value proposition, I would be very interested in a link to it.

Rich

richrf, Jul 27, 2007 IP
  20. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Do you find that your directory is providing some unique value to visitors and has good repeat visitor traffic. I am looking for a directory concept that can attract repeats because it is providing lots of value. Since I never use any directories, and I haven't spoken to anyone who does, I was wondering if your business oriented site does have repeats.

Rich

richrf, Jul 27, 2007 IP