1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How css compatible cross over all browsers ?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by earngate, Oct 21, 2015.

We need to ask you
    • How i can test my site on all IE versions and others differentn browsers versions ?

• Is there a software to help us to make css style is compatible cross over all browsers ?
    Thanks

earngate, Oct 21, 2015 IP
  2. Meharali

Meharali Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    use the browserstack.com its is great for every devices

Meharali, Oct 21, 2015 IP
  3. earngate

earngate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not offer most browsers versions in free plan !!!
    Also depend on screenshots not live versions to see errors
    browserstack.com it's not best choice but thanks for reply

earngate, Oct 21, 2015 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    All IE versions? You probably don't mean that. Since my windows 3.11 box runs IE 4, and you probably don't care how the css looks there. The smart way is to install virtual machines with different of on them, to test different browsers. However, you shouldn't care about anything older than IE 8, and really not even that.

PoPSiCLe, Oct 21, 2015 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I still test back to IE 5.5, but that's mostly because I have some friends with Windows CE mobile devices that refuse to upgrade. Since IE 5.5 was the bleeding edge of windows mobile until just about 2008, what? you missed the big "6 on 6" party? That's ok, so did everyone else -- nobody has EVER really given a flying purple fish about Microsoft in the handheld space!

As of IE 11 and/or Edge, the emulation of older browser engines is far more spot-on than it used to be. As such if you have either of those, you should have the tools needed to be reasonably certain older pages work... just go into the developer tools and track down those emulation modes.

Testing in VM's is still the best "final check" -- the actual browser in the actual environment.

When I say test or "support" I refer only to the page working and being usable. There is NO legitimate excuse for a page to not at least deliver content in a meaningful fashion all the way back to IE 5.2 mac -- just don't sweat the details; they don't get all the things that didn't even EXIST in their time, it shouldn't break the page. Oh noes, they don't get rounded corners, drop shadows or gradients, OH FREAKING WELL. Do NOT waste time with scripttardery or other code bloat just for that.

Likewise, since the newer HTML 5 "structural" tags are outright redundant to numbered headings and horizontal rules, DON'T USE THEM. Really none of the "new" tags serve a legitimate purpose, and are either things that should only exist in the scripting (progress, canvas), are outright pointless (header, footer, nav, aside, section) or are being forced on us despite there already being a perfectly good tag to provide the functionality (AUDIO, VIDEO). You don't need them, and you can write cleaner, clearer, more cross browser compatible code without most of them. Really only AUDIO and VIDEO have any business being used, and that's thanks to browser makers shoving them down our throats like Peter North!

It's also good to have a handle on some compatibility fixes, and things that trip cross browser bugs. Sometimes something as simple as a haslayout trigger can fix layout issues right up through IE8. Some things like position:fixed, changing the box-model, or flex-box simply have no place if you care about the page working in anything prior to IE10. (yes, 10, not 9!). If you care about accessibility and cross browser, there's just a lot of things you have no business even trying to do -- no matter how much things like bootcrap or the ignorant halfwit PSD jockeys who call themselves "designers" claim otherwise in their general ignorance of HTML, CSS, or accessibility!

deathshadow, Oct 21, 2015 IP