1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How could a Canadian get a USA credit card?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by timothius, Mar 5, 2008.

Hi guys,

How could a Canadian legally get a USA credit card?

I used to do a lot of business with online stores such as Buy.com, which now don't allow any international orders.... the communists. :rolleyes: Whatever happened to NAFTA? Anyway...

I have a mailing address (box # only) in the US, but I don't know how to go about getting a US credit card. I believe it can be done, but I don't know of the proper way of obtaining one.

Thanks!

timothius, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  2. humanedited

humanedited Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you tried getting a secured credit card sent to your US P.O. box?

humanedited, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  3. timothius

timothius Active Member

Best Answers:
    What exactly is a "secured" credit card?

4. humanedited

humanedited Peon

Best Answers:
    It's more like a checking card with the Visa or Mastercard logo. People get them to rebuild their credit. You have to put money on it (anywhere from $50 to $500 depending on who you get it through) and can only spend what you put on it. Usually after a year of use and payments, they'll switch it to a regular credit card. You use them exactly like a credit card. Since you're putting the initial money on it, you'll have a better chance of getting one sent to an address that you don't live at. I did it through Capital One with $75 to start

Just do a google search for Secured Credit card and you'll see a ton of results.

5. timothius

timothius Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I suppose that's worth a shot. But how do you fund these cards? (Remember I'm from Canada... :) )

6. Grumps

Grumps Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is possible to fund your bill with your canadian bank account. Just wire the cash to the card to pay bills? Im sure there are many people out there who's doing this!

Grumps, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  7. humanedited

humanedited Peon

Best Answers:
    I would use a US money order to get the credit card because a check (cheque) from a Canadian bank account might not work at first. It should be fine for making payments afterwards though. I practically live on the US/Canada border so getting US Postal money orders isn't a problem for me but might be for you.

How close to the border are you? Lots of banks in American border towns promote accounts for Canadians. Well, at least they did before our dollar was on par. If you can do it, that would be your best option.

8. himanuzo

himanuzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not you go to U.S in order to apply the credit card?

himanuzo, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  9. unlockediphonesite.com

unlockediphonesite.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    Open up a bank acc in the USA and then get a credit card, or get a Visa Giftcard, they can be used anywhere a credit card would, but buy it from the USA. LOL

unlockediphonesite.com, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  10. roseau

roseau Peon

Best Answers:
    If you live close enough to a border town, the banks are usually really eager to open accounts for both sides of the border. Once you have an account, you just get an ATM card. It works both as an ATM withdrawal card and also as a debit card when you are purchasing.

It is actually a debit card but when you purchase with it, the process is the same as a credit card. You do not enter the PIN for the purchase.

This way you would have a card issued on an American bank and can use it to shop online.

roseau, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  11. proxywhereabouts

proxywhereabouts Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Does AMEX considered as US cc?
    Well, I'm Malaysian and didn't have problem getting that?

proxywhereabouts, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  12. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if you apply for an Amex Card in Malaysia then it would be considered a Malaysian Charge or Credit Card. It would not be considered a US issued card. Unless you get the card from the US.

eddy2099, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  13. proxywhereabouts

proxywhereabouts Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I see..i thought AMEX (american express) is a US cc..

proxywhereabouts, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  14. timothius

timothius Active Member

Best Answers:
    The US banks I've asked need you to keep steady account activity or they'll close your account. Unfortunately, it's not realistic in my case. Though yes, that is one way that it *could* possibly work.

Unfortunately, I've never seen a definitive guide on how a Canadian can get a US credit card. Someone who has done this should do it sometime.

timothius, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  15. charless

charless Banned

Best Answers:
    Hmm. I'm pretty sure you need a social security # or excellent credit (in Canada) if you don't have established credit in the US.

charless, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  16. timothius

timothius Active Member

Best Answers:
    So how would one get a social security # for the US when you live in Canada? I've never heard of that personally... but I don't know. I'm not sure that your credit history in Canada makes a difference even if it's really good. Once again, I just don't know for sure. :confused:

17. drgeorgep

drgeorgep Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi ... have you tried applying? I'm in Ottawa and have cards from CitiBank and MBNA USA. I just applied, a few years ago. A friend manages an RBC branch and tells me he writes 5+ loans, a week, to pay off USA credit cards. His RBC branch is in a rural community, outside Ottawa. Also, RBC owns at least one bank in the USA that issues credit cards to Canadians. Go on rbc [dot] com and check it out. Hope this helps.

drgeorgep, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  18. timothius

timothius Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've looked on their site and all I can find is a Canadian credit card that can hold a US dollar balance? How did you get your cards? Did you live in the states for a period of time? I may have to call RBC about this...

Thanks!

19. popnyc

popnyc Active Member

Best Answers:
    RBC definitely, ask them, I think you can keep your existing account or ask them to open you one.

Maybe American Express too?

You could try Bank of America, if you get connected to the right place, they can check Canadian credit history and give you a US card.

**Does anyone know US banks that check Canadian credit history? I know Bank of America will, but any others?

popnyc, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  20. popnyc

popnyc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's called RBC Centura.

popnyc, Mar 7, 2008 IP