1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can you tell if Google is punishing you (because of the ad-network)?

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by txchou, Apr 16, 2005.

1. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Well if they dilute our ads for churning, they have a conflict of interest and are trying to dominate the market. That should be a SEC violation and grounds for a class action suit.

Adsense churns but is cloaked in the cloth of "targeted" ads. Churning is churning, if they can do it, we should be able to as well. Java script wrapper or not.

Proving it is hard, but there is power in numbers, investigations have been launched by the SEC for stranger things. If web masters make enough noise, there will be an attorney wanting to make a name for him or herself that champions the webmasters.

noppid, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  2. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    noppid,

You lost me on that one. What do you mean? Who's ads are churning? Are you suggesting the SEC investigate DP? I really don't understand what your getting at. Who should be sued?

mopacfan, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  3. noppid

Best Answers:
    Adsense ads churn, they are different on page views.

No, not the coop, any business that is publicly traded that does one thing and penalizes others for doing the same. Maybe it's legal cause you don't have to use a particular business if you don't like their practices. However to me it reaks of monopolization.

Common sense will have to guide us. Choose carefully it seems. Makes ya wonder what one is doing with the other coming out with competing ads and if they plan to penalize us if we are not in bed with them.

noppid, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  4. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahhh. Now I get it, thanks. It certainly is scary to think that this would ever be a possibility. I hope it never comes to that, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it did.

mopacfan, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  5. noppid

Best Answers:
    Just for the record, if I sound anti G, I'm not. I'm pro fair business practices.

I want a quid-pro-quo business relationship. I'll show your churning ads, and don't you penalize me for the others I choose to privately promote in a similar manner if they are not yours.

But PPC is going to die soon. Advertisers are getting ripped off by ad clicking groups and the like, it won't be long till they stop wasting money.

All things internet evolve.

noppid, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  6. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    I understand what you are saying noppid, and i agree that fair business practices are important and crucial. But since google is the only search engine right now that has the ppc and publisher system (adwords/adsense) it's tough to know if they are in fact penalizing sites for not being involved in that program. I suppose more would be found out when yahoo or msn launches their program as well.

The co op isn't a PPC so it's not really right to compare it with adwords in the sense of a monopoly. But the internet is tricky, so who knows. It will be interesting to see what happens.

wendydettmer, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  7. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    As you know Google makes there own law. We will never know for certain what we did to bring our sites to the top...was it the COOP, was it my bl campaign, was it my listings in directories, etc. As we will probably not know what we did to cause a landslide in rankings.

I totally disagree (sorry) with your view on PPC. I believe it is in it's infancity. Once Se's get click fraud under control, PPC will flourish. But that's another thread ;)

All things evolve, agree. If Google finds a way to devalue COOP links...all's fair, i guess. The truth is we may never know for certain. My serps are dropping like flies and I am playing with about 250k in weight. But then again my keyphrase used to be in an arena of about 10,000,000 pages found. The same keyphrase now nets 110,000,000 pages found. I was #3, I am now #7. Is that the COOP that has caused this drop? Don't know :confused: Did the COOP help me climb in serp's over the last 3-4 months? Yes

So the theory of evolution may be the crux of this issue.

Homer, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  8. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    My guess is that "older" sites feel more benefit from SERPS with the Ad network, well from my experience anyway, either way the only recent downfall I had from google as regards my rankings happened recently, strangely I logged into DP and my weight was 0, validated and back up to its normal amount.

As many have stated, if you think your SERPS are unjustly inflated by being in the ad network do not complain if you sit back and ride the crest of a wave that eventually crashes.. hey that sounded quite cool :eek:

sji2671, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  9. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    we are all here to boost our sites.
    it would have been nice to have had a cache feature ... static links for 14 days or even a month. i would wait a month to see my links add up, it would be worth it. of well ... too late, the gig is up.

google would have burnt cpu's tryign to figure that out.

we are all here to inflate our serps, the quicker those that deny it stop exaggerating about the potential of getting business from people clicking on irrelevant ads in the footers, the quicker we find a better way in coop 2.0

call it black hat, whatever ... google doesn't need to know the links are in a network, it needs to be stealthy. i'm totally against bringing this into the light ... se's don't like us spiking serps so easily. they never will.

skattabrain, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  10. txchou

txchou Peon

Best Answers:
    Would more permanent links from related topic sites overcome these issues?

txchou, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  11. noppid

Best Answers:
    I think the general answer to that is yes, but as pointed out, we don't know. It's secret. Anyone that claims to know is a liar IMO. That's not to say there is not good advice from experience to follow though.

I love drawing lines in the sand and making people wonder where they stand.

noppid, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  12. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I think what we are ultimately striving for is a naturally appearing link growth. Unfortuately we do not have access to the stats that Google would to determine what appears natural.

The advertising aspect (click throughs), truthfully I never eally considered until recently. Some have suggested that the clickthrough is pretty good.

Homer, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  13. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm thinking my issue is not so much link churning ... it's variation of anchors. coop has grown so large ... my 5 anchors are hitting over opt penalties.

thoughts?

skattabrain, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  14. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I know I click through to sites displayed on mine that catch my eye... maybe I'm just nosy :D

minstrel, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  15. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I find myself doing the same thing, Minstrel. I wonder if COOP's are the ones that are clicking through...for the same reason?

Homer, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  16. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Because the search function sucks?

mopacfan, Apr 21, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  17. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    i would say they are. i click on then as do most all of us ... i really don't think people venture into "terms" and "copyright" land for a path to browse around.

18. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Aw, give it a rest, mopacfan :rolleyes:

fryman, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  19. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think that was mopacfan's message to you, actually :D

minstrel, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  20. skattabrain

skattabrain Peon

Best Answers:
    Hahahahahahahahahahhahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!