1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how can we remove bad sector from hard disk?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by seojig, Mar 27, 2007.

hello,
    i come to know from my friend that if we format our hard disk with some particular command than we can remove bad sector from hard disk.can any one help me to remove bad sector from my hard disk?

thanks

-jigs

seojig, Mar 27, 2007 IP
    seo5 likes this.
  2. BornToHeal

BornToHeal Banned

Best Answers:
    I think that I didn't understand you...
    What is a "bad sector"?

BornToHeal, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  3. seojig

seojig Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    seojig, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  4. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    A bad sector is a physically bad spot on the hard drive where the OS (if the sector is marked correctly) will not attempt to write any information to it.

As to how to fix one, that is up for debate. First you will want to check to see if the drive is still under warranty and if it is, get it replaced ASAP as one bad sector usually means an eventual crash. :eek:

If it is not under warranty, first make sure you do NOT keep any critical data on it as it WILL die soon. When I say soon, I mean when you least expect it. :eek:

Visit the hard drive manufacturer's web site. They usually have a diagnostic utility available to test and some times 'fix' these bad sectors. Although in my opinion, 'fix' means marked as bad to be unavailable to the OS.

threebuckchuck, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  5. Kaustubh

Kaustubh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well Bad sector thing is like AIDS to human body.. you can not remove Bad sector once it get oon ur hdd. you can patch them so it wont form anymore bad sector.. Use NDD32 .. its actually DOS based disk repairing tool which patch bad sector data.. so it wont spread anymore.. i dont have link for that programe. but you can get it in Norton utility setup.. its ndd32.exe or ndd.exe or ndd.com(Not a site.. Dos based extension)

try it out.. u may find it helpful.

Kaustubh, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  6. mate_pl

mate_pl Active Member

Best Answers:
    I consider disk with bad sectors as the disk I have to throw away. Bad sectors are spreading, you can't fix them or if you can it should have been much more expensive than buying a new disk. My advice is to make a backup and buy a new disk...

mate_pl, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  7. maonnie

maonnie Member

Best Answers:
    You can try writing to the bad block, I'm pretty sure the the drive should remap it internally.

You could also try looking up how to create a "badblocks" file and let your FS/OS know about it (I expect windows does this using scandisk) - I've previously used this to some success on a Linux box.

maonnie, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  8. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ya, i use this method to block bad sectors.
    just make some small partitions, and then find out which partition has bad sector. after that, just delete those partitions, and the bad sector is blocked.

there are other methods of blocking bad sectors that we do with linux cd, to find more accuratly the bad sectors! but then this method works.

my harddisk is 40 gb, and i have 6 bad sectors, so it is now 32 gb with the rest of the space is blocked. but then i am planning to get a new harddisk!:D

uttoransen, Mar 27, 2007 IP
  9. seojig

seojig Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    thank to all guys,
    i will fix the partition with bad sector and i will block that.actually when we format hard drive in DOS it will automatically detect bad sector.
    means a'ter formatting the drive it show that how many bytes are affected.

seojig, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  10. threebuckchuck

threebuckchuck Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are desperate for hard drives that's fine but just keep in mind, that drive WILL fail at the time you least want it to. :eek:

threebuckchuck, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  11. ecart

ecart Peon

Best Answers:
    Its a sign of trouble to come. Backup all the data on the HD and buy a new one. It's not worth the risk of having it fail down the line.

ecart, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  12. digitalpoint2012

digitalpoint2012 Peon

Best Answers:
    Try PBD(Partition Bad Disk) to isolate bad sectors so that the bad sectors are removed from the created partitions.

digitalpoint2012, Sep 13, 2012 IP