1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can these sites be improved?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by s011460, May 14, 2016.

tsawebmaster1.hhstsa.com

http://www.tsawebmaster1.hhstsa.com/drones/index.html

Solved! View solution.
    s011460, May 14, 2016 IP
  2. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How in the world can we help you if you DENY us access to the site you want help with?

Get rid of the bullshit

"Do you want to see the site!
    Unfortunately you will have to email me at . And a special thank you to the superb states judging this year. Stay tuned for greatness."

so we can see what you want us to see. OBVIOUSLY this is nothing but a crapola site since you are SO OBVIOUSLY ASHAMED of letting us view it!

mmerlinn, May 14, 2016 IP
    To put it more politely than mmerlinn, WHAT SITES?!?

Since they seem to just hang the tab I try to open it in... oh wait, I think the domain itself loaded after some minute of the tab being opened... got this giant blank area with no content and a pencil....

First thing I'd suggest is axing all the arsty fartsy bullshit and scripttardery that makes the site take so long to load NOBODY is going to wait for it to finish... You've got illegible colour contrasts, goofy hard to read font choices in what little ACTUAL content is on the page, some stupid "hide the menu" crap that leaves one thinking the page hasn't even loaded... oh wait, we're three minutes deep and it's still loading shit! Wow that's rubbish!

Ok, it loads faster in FF... Chrome and Vivaldi utterly drop the ball trying to load that mess... Still, 2.3 megabytes spanning 41 files is a steaming pile of epic fail when there's only nine content images and 4.5k of plaintext. The markup size ALONE should send up a huge warning flag as at 18k it's anywhere from two to three times what should have been used... much less the ridiculous 181k of scripttardery spanning 8 files and inept 81k of CSS spanning 6 files... for something that COMBINED (HTML+CSS+SCRIPTS) likely has ZERO legitimate excuse to break 40k in 3 files.

It reeks of some artist having spanked it on a tablet and called it "design" whilst not knowing the first damned thing about ACTUAL design concerns like usability and accessibility, having met up with the worst of Every ****ing bootstrap website ever style design. Massive images and whitespace leaving visitors going "where's the content?!?" since, well... it's a big bun. It's a very big bun. Big fluffy bun...

Laundry list of how NOT to build a website; my advice would be to Ellen Ripley it -- It's the only way to be sure.

deathshadow, May 15, 2016 IP
    malky66 and kk5st like this.
  4. s011460

s011460 Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol mmerlinn! Calm down. Take a look at your site. Considering that you are a grown adult, that is a little disapointing. Maybe try going to college to learn a thing or two.

s011460, May 15, 2016 IP
  5. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    kk5st, May 15, 2016 IP
  6. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, my site is DATED, is UGLY, BUT works fine in every browser I have tested. It even works in NyetScape which is still used by a significant portion of the people accessing my site.

The people that USE my site do not care HOW it looks. The ONLY thing they care about is getting their cars fixed. And the ONLY thing I care about is HELPING THOSE PEOPLE FIND ME SO THAT I CAN HELP SOLVE THEIR PROBLEMS. As ugly as it is, IT HAS PAID ALL OF MY BILLS FOR ALMOST TEN YEARS. And as long as it does that, I see NO reason to alienate my customer base by wasting time redesigning a site THAT THOSE PAYING CUSTOMERS USE.

If you had taken the time to look under the hood, you would have found this quote:

That said, I have started SLOWLY upgrading the site. A year or so from now all 9000+ pages will look essentially the same, but with less code due to the CSS that I am adding to every page. And a year from now it will probably exceed 10,000 pages.

The site will NEVER be the latest and greatest website. I see no reason to waste time fixing what WORKS no matter how ugly it is and no matter how outdated the coding is.

I would like to see you try, without any outside help, designing and maintaining such a massive website while updating some 200-300 pages PER DAY, and at the same time buying, selling, and shipping the parts the customers need.

THIS WEBSITE CANNOT BE BUILT NOR MAINTAINED WITH TURDPRESS, BOOTSCRAPE, NOR ANY OTHER PIECE OF SHIT THAT YOU USE.

As far as college goes, the ONLY people that NEED to go to college are those people that MUST have a piece of paper proving their ignorance and those people that are too LAZY to learn on their own without a schoolmarm with a whip forcing them to learn. One last thing here, both @deathshadow and I have FORGOTTEN more than most people on this site will EVER LEARN.

And in case you never bothered to look, most of what you quoted above was CUT AND PASTED FROM THE SITE IN QUESTION.

Edit: Have you never seen Craigslist? It is a plain jane ugly site that millions use every day. USEFUL websites tend to be SIMPLE, PLAIN, and UGLY. And if you look under that hood you will find some very horrible coding that will probably NEVER get updated.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    mmerlinn, May 17, 2016 IP
    malky66 likes this.