1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can PHP, MySql is connect with Fingerprint Scaner?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by mojjammal, Jul 11, 2016.

I want create a time attendance online web base site where employee make his attendance with his thumbs in fingerprint scanner. and want scanner data save in my database (MySql) with php script. If there is any solutions, please help me to solve this problem. I know the other solution (c#, C++, .net) but I do not need it. I want it only Php and MySQL.

Thanks

mojjammal, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You can't. Forget about it. You will need some sort of android/iPhone-app (or a Windows/OSX/Linux-program) to interface with a fingerprint scanner. And you can't interface directly with the database via PHP using that, you'll need to create some sort of interface inbetween, which will involve some sort of JAVA/C-something app.

PoPSiCLe, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It seems daunting, but it's not really. Think of the scanner as being an alternative keyboard and when a value is entered it should press enter.

So the flow goes like this
    1. page is setup
    2. focus is on the input field
    3. on change javascript submits the form or makes an ajax call with the scanned input
    4. a success message is returned
    5. back to #1

sarahk, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    lol, @PoPSiCLe and I couldn't be further apart :)

sarahk, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Do you know any fingerprint-scanners that work like that, and also a way to compare the resulting file/data with what you have stored?

6. mojjammal

mojjammal Active Member

Best Answers:
    fingerprint scanner as use a input device, when a thumb is scan it verified the employee an store scan time in MySQL database.

mojjammal, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    *headdesk* First, understand I asked @sarahk if she had seen that kind of fingerprint scanner which work like that.

To your statement, of course I know what a fingerprint scanner does - what I'm asking is how are you gonna verify that the fingerprint scanned is matched to something in the database? Fingerprint verification is a complicated process.

sarahk likes this.
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The scanner has to output something and whether it's a number or an image or a vector there has to be a way to submit via a form to the server.

How you match them once they get to the server is another question altogether. That would be complicated but I doubt the sending of the data is.

sarahk, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  9. ThePHPMaster

ThePHPMaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This works fine with bar code scanners and such, but for fingerprinting it would be a bit more complicated.

The thing with fingerprints, no two fingerprints will be the same (even from the same finger) making an absolute match will not work (ex: storing image binary and comparing the two). Additionally, each fingerprint scanner usually have their own implementation (Software Development Kit-SDK) for comparison that aren't usually the same.

Theoretically, it would be possible to use PHP to upload the images/compare, but this would require you to inspect and understand how the scanner algorithm works or by converting it's SDK (which usually are written in languages like C++/Java) to a PHP class. This surly might be the slower path/execution time.

Personally, I would just implement a Java applet, should be pretty easy not more than 20 lines (using existing SDK classes) and have Java send a success or failure to PHP. Another possible option, would be to create a cronjob that PHP executes whenever a "fingerprint login" occurs after PHP uploads and stores the images, waits for the execution from the cronjob (either C++/Java/or even plain shell/etc..) and process the user based on the results. You would have to have a splash (Please wait, verifying fingerprint, etc.. message).

ThePHPMaster, Jul 11, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.