1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Can I use WordPress WITHOUT a Theme?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by pcrcool, Apr 21, 2013.

Please watch this video I made:
    It explains it all.

I want to use wordpress to host my html code on, so I can use wordpress plugins, but i want to delete all the pages and unused php files of the wordpress theme without collapsing the entire wordpress control panel. Like comments.php, footer.phph, etc.... My site is just 3 html pages, the home page and about page and contact page. How do I delete all the rest of the stuff?
    how can this be done? Which files must I not delete?
    Thank

pcrcool, Apr 21, 2013 IP
  2. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My WordPress (v3.5.1) allows me creating a theme with files index.php and style.css without any problem. Honestly I have no idea why your WP is collapsing.

Devtard, Apr 21, 2013 IP
  3. pcrcool

pcrcool Member

Best Answers:
    So if I just manually delete all the .php files through my FTP from wordpress Except style.css & index.php it should work?

pcrcool, Apr 21, 2013 IP
  4. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It should. (You will need the file page.php if you want to have a contact and about page though.)

Devtard, Apr 21, 2013 IP
  5. pcrcool

pcrcool Member

Best Answers:
    okay, so ill attempt deleting all the files, except keep page.php, style.css, & index.php and I should still be able to access the WP-Admin control panel hopefully.(?)

Now my only other concern is, I have a plugin installed called Wizard Cloaks, it masks affiliate urls, will that plugin still work? Im assuming it will because it currently works on my static home page and simply allows me to create urls, but Idk if it will continue to work after deleting all these other php files?

Thanks!

pcrcool, Apr 21, 2013 IP
  6. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know the plugin so I can't really tell, but if it is some kind of a Javascript thingy that changes the URL when you click on a link (like Google does), you may want to leave the code "<?php get_header(); ?>" in all .php files if it inserts the JS code automatically.

Except for the short 5 minute test I don't have any experience with this so I am just curious as you are whether this will work or not. Let me know.

Devtard, Apr 21, 2013 IP
  7. pcrcool

pcrcool Member

Best Answers:
    Okay I deleted most of them and the site is still working fine. Out of the ones left, which do you think I should still delete: http://postimg.org/image/g0oguzivl/

http://postimg.org/image/g0oguzivl/

(the ones in a green box are the ones I know I need to keep like index.php.)

And as far as your code "<?php get_header(); ?>" I did that but It made the wordpress theme show back up (along with plugins which is nice), but it also showed the theme, so I deleted the code in the header.php file and then it went back to normal, but besides that, Im not sure what that line of code does.

pcrcool, Apr 21, 2013 IP
  8. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are not using WP for storing post/page content than there is no need to keep the file page.php. Although I am not sure why would you want to do that, this is the basic feature of any CMS including WP - if you don't use it for managing content, why bother to use it at all?

You basically need only index.php and style.css to make your template work.

Yeah, the function get_header executes content of the file header.php. If you don't want to use it then delete it but remember that plugins usually use header.php to put stuff into the template (not sure if this is your case though).

Devtard, Apr 22, 2013 IP
  9. pcrcool

pcrcool Member

Best Answers:
    okay so I learned there are some files I need to keep, not just style.css and index.php, when I deleted the widget.php folder, the website and wordpress collapsed, I could not access anything. I had to go through file manager and re upload the widgets.php file. Oh well. everything else was fine, now Im just down to thos 3 files

pcrcool, Apr 22, 2013 IP
    Komicwords likes this.
  10. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Make sure that the file widgets.php isn't being called from index.php. As I said before, WP requires only index.php and style.css in my theme.

Devtard, Apr 23, 2013 IP