1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Can I Unblock My Internet At Work?

Discussion in 'Security' started by martman, Aug 23, 2010.

I work in a very slow store with a computer that has internet but most sites seem to be blocked. I want to use this dead time valuably and start link building, but I can't!

I figured out the admin username and passwords one day after a lot of guessing and boredom, now how can I go about using it to unblock the internet?

I've narrowed it down to one of these services, and I'm thinking it might be the last one Inetinfo.exe, does anyone know for sure? And if it is one of these services, how can I allow access for this computer with the admin password?

Here are the services I have it narrowed down to.

Brmbags.exe
    mDNSResponder.exe
    AluSchedulerSVC.exe
    Wlinetct.nt.exe
    DBSRV7.exe
    Srvany.exe
    2encrypt.exe
    BRSS01A.exe
    BRSVC01A.exe
    winvnc.exe
    inetinfo.exe

martman, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  2. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can say for a fact that it isn't inetinfo.exe. Have you googled the rest of these services to see what they do? It's extremely unlikely to be anything on the computer itself that is blocking it, but if it was it would be better hidden than that or it wouldn't be any good.

I'd guess that since internet access is available, but certain sites are blocked, then it's almost certainly the router or firewall that is doing this which could be in your store or at a central location for the company. This may be a manually maintained/updated list, but it is more likely to be a 3rd party list that is being used to provide the block and filter. You'll need to be a lot more inventive to get access to the router or firewall.

You do realize that you will be fired, and potentially prosecuted, for doing what your doing now? Taking this any further only increases the chances of being caught and making the consequences more serious for you.

You are now a serious security risk to this company and if the systems admin is any good he'll soon catch you. Due to the fact you have the admin password, but no authority to access it, the worry will be that you've installled some software, accessed sensitive data, stolen sensitive data or compromised the system in some other way. They could sue you for the cost of re-securing their servers, or re-installing the software and server from scratch, any loss of profit due to downtime, the costs of professional consultants (at 100's of dollars per hour), and anything else they want to throw at you. For the sake of making a few buck link building you're putting a lot at risk.

Leave your link building ambitions until you get home and do it on your own time. Stay out of trouble and stay out of their systems.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
    RonBrown, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  3. muyilleum

muyilleum Active Member

Best Answers:
    contact your IT technicians/administrators at work instead of putting your job on the line

muyilleum, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  4. Fremont

Fremont Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    99% that nothing on your computer prevents full access to the Internet. usually it's handled by router/firewall on the edge of you local network faced to the internet.
    But admin(s) of your network will be really angry if you'd do anything to those devices and your actions are easily trackable. So you'd better make friends with admin and discuss it with him. It could costs you a couple of beers instead of losing your job :)

Fremont, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  5. al199

al199 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It'll almost definitely be controlled on the router, not the computer. You can probably access it through an IP such as 192.168.1.1 or similar, depending on how it's set up, but you'll need another username and password for that one.

Alternatively you could use a proxy, or use a mobile phone as a hotspot and work from your mobile internet (if you have that).

I endorse none of this as you can, and will, be fired if the IT staff are watching the network, there's really not a lot you can do. Leave it til you get home.

al199, Sep 9, 2015 IP
  6. ProxyRadar

ProxyRadar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As the simplest solution, you may use anonymizers to access blocked sites, also known as web-proxy

ProxyRadar, Sep 18, 2015 IP
  7. Roger S

Roger S Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

How does using Proxy Settings work for your computer.

some choices that we use regularly are.
    proxy
    vpn
    tunneling

Let me know if they work for you. :)

Roger S, Dec 26, 2015 IP
  8. Daniel Myers

Daniel Myers Peon

Best Answers:
    More than likely your company has these sites on your router blocked. You can try a proxy or VPN to see if this helps you. Otherwise, you'll need to talk to your IT department to open access to these sites. There is a reason your company has blocked them. You should find out why before going to them. They could be dangerous for your company and their data.

Daniel Myers, Jan 28, 2016 IP
  9. magmark

magmark Active Member

Best Answers:
    Talk to your IT department is imperative to open access to these sites of coarse!! There is a reason your company has blocked them! and you will be putting a risk to you're employment tampering with there filters probably a big no no...

magmark, Jan 29, 2016 IP
  10. Daniel Myers

Daniel Myers Peon

Best Answers:
    I have ports blocked on our router for the safety of our company. Furthermore, many of our employees were spending too much time downloading videos from YouTube. I had to block a lot of download sites. If not, I was cleaning up too many viruses on the computers.

Daniel Myers, Jan 29, 2016 IP
  11. Justin Kresty

Justin Kresty Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Bingo.

Or just use your phone like the rest of us....

Laptop with broadband.

Justin Kresty, Mar 28, 2016 IP
  12. Ditmar

Ditmar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Try to use:
    • VPN
    • Proxy
    • Anonymizer

Ditmar, Mar 28, 2016 IP
  13. atsad

atsad Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If your internet access is formally restricted by your IT dept., then you should simply obey it. It's your duty to respect all the rules & restrictions imposed by your office.

atsad, Jan 29, 2017 IP