1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can I run an online raffle legally?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by bobby9101, Jan 23, 2007.

1. regular_dude

regular_dude Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    So I want to set up an online raffle business. Flat out raffles with fortnightly draws.
    clients buy tickets for the selected raffle and the draw is made after a fortnight, with prizes/money sent to the user. no level of skill/knowledge, just buy your ticket and wait for your name to pop up.

I understand this is illegal to base in the US, so I'm looking at running it as an offshore business where little or no licenses are required to run a land-based or web-based gambling/lottery business. (looking at countries like cyprus, british virgin islands etc).

I plan to get this running for all major languages and want every one to be able to participate.

Does having this offshore with their gambling licenses make this more allowable to US residents?

regular_dude, Jul 4, 2016 IP
  2. joemundaca

joemundaca Peon

Best Answers:
    hello I'm new on this,,so will do best i can,,i have beach front property want to raffle it how does one do this legal,and i live in fiji,,

joemundaca, Jul 26, 2016 IP
  3. Pamela Turns

Pamela Turns Active Member

Best Answers:
    You have to have a permit from the state where you currently live to run a raffle and the purpose had to be for charity. You couldn't just decide you wanted to raffle off something for your own benefit for any reason whatsoever.

Pamela Turns, Aug 3, 2016 IP
  4. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    probably need a permit everywhere your users are

pmf123, Aug 4, 2016 IP
  5. Diskretni

Diskretni Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Giveaway with a price I guess.

Diskretni, Aug 26, 2016 IP
  6. worldbest

worldbest Member

Best Answers:
    do people still enter raffle draw?

worldbest, Jun 21, 2017 IP
  7. httptunnel

httptunnel Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1. The house raffle gives away 90% of prizes back according to their web site about how many tickets they sell and how much they give away in prizes. That goes against California law about minimum 90% goes to charity...SOMETHING UP THERE !!

2. I have often seen many sites/offers saying the first X amount of customers to join/buy (or maybe everyone who joins/buys) "Something" get thrown into a pool for some sort of great prize to be given away. IS THAT A RAFFLE?

3. What if no money is involved? Everyone pitches in an Apple and the grand prize winner gets a crate of Apples, and so on...DOES THAT CHANGE ANYTHING? How about iPads instead of Apples?...MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

The line seems blurry to me...

Just wondering :)

httptunnel, Oct 8, 2017 IP