1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can I make a drop down menu by HTML & CSS?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Md.Saddam Hossain, Jul 28, 2013.

1. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'm just hostile towards bad, broken or flawed methodologies -- after some three decades of programming it gets very tiring to see the exact same mistakes and bad practices time and time and time again, when you've seen those EXACT SAME practices bite people in the backside... time and time and time again.

I thought that was indentations job -- I've rarely seen any CSS done the single line way that sooner or later didn't start declaring the same values more than once or conflicting values in the same selector.

Over-reliance on tools to make up for sloppy coding habits is NOT the answer.

To me if whitespace stripping in the age of server size gzip compression makes a serious difference in bandwidth, it means there's something wrong with the code. The hundred or so bytes saved isn't worth the extra headache involved in maintaining it, and to be frank has always struck me as a sleazy shortcut for sweeping bad coding practices under the rug. It's little more than obfuscating one's ineptitude.

Though if people would stop blowing hundreds of K on stupid malfing frameworks and "gee ain't it neat" javascript for NOTHING useful, ending up with half a megabyte of idiocy just to deliver 1k of plaintext and a half-dozen content images only further proving how far up 1997's arse they have their head wedged... well... they probably wouldn't be diving for idiotic sleazy shortcuts like whitespace compression/minification in the first place.

More CSS3 on that, since HTML 5 does jack *** in that department apart from encouraging even more sloppy coding practices, bringing back all the redundancies the REAL HTML 4 (aka STRICT) was trying to get rid of, and pissing all over accessibility from orbit...

... and speaking of the same mistakes made over and over again:
    You shouldn't use display to hide/show given what it does to screen readers and some search engines. That's flawed methodology we've been told for over a DECADE not to do.

No matter how 'easy' it is.

deathshadow, Aug 3, 2013 IP
  2. Nipun Tyagi

Nipun Tyagi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That's the exact link bro " http://inspiretrends.com/drop-down-menu-tutorials/ "

Nipun Tyagi, Aug 3, 2013 IP
  3. Phaaze

Phaaze Member

Best Answers:
    Understandably so, but you still come off as being overly arrogant and set in your ways like some grandfather who thinks he knows best. I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying there are more civil ways to handle things.

It's not a bad habit. I used to indent all of my CSS and I was OCD about it. However, I did it strictly for presentational reasons - never did I find it easier to manage or read. With tools like cleancss, I can code more efficiently without having to spam <enter><tab> a million times and I can easily make it "pretty" for those who want everything laid out on a grid. And as far as declaring the same values, that's just sillyness by someone who isn't familiar with their own code - plus, I put my style attributes in alphabetical order most of the time.

Tell that to Facebook or Google, where a few K adds up to terabytes of bandwidth. No, I'm not saying I work on a site that receives millions of uniques - but why sacrifice client load speed and server resources (regardless of how minimal). We seem to have reverse ideologies on what constitutes one being lazy; because, to me, not taking the time to optimize for performance is being lazy.

I couldn't agree more, some of these frameworks being used today are ridiculously bloated with stuff that simply isn't necessary. And what's worse is when clients actually demand that a specific framework be used.

Not sure I get where you're going with this... HTML5 is pushing semantics and accessibility to a new level, screen readers before only had (primarily) div's and span's to sort though. Now, they're able look for the more important parts of the page and find important navigational menus with tags like header, nav, article, section, aside, footer, ect.

Anyway, we're straying way off topic - feel free to pm me if you wish to continue this discussion. :D

Phaaze, Aug 3, 2013 IP