1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how can i get my site listed for free?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by khan11, Sep 27, 2006.

Hello guys,

i was just wondering that ,is there anyway to get our website listed in dmoz?

my website is related with free mobile stuff.

khan11, Sep 27, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  2. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Most people submit it once to the correct category.

Without the URL it would be difficult to assess but free mobile stuff sounds very much like free affiliate mobile stuff, in which case the site would be unlistable. Also this is a very spammy area with little editors likely to be interested. If you site is, miraculously, listable then expect a long wait. 2026 would be my guess. Roughly.

brizzie, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Khan11

If you don't want to wait until 2026 as brizzie mentioned, you can read this thread and contact a SEO company owned by a "senior" editor in DMOZ and get your site listed in DMOZ in a matter of couple of days, independent of the content. ;)

Your listing in DMOZ is "free", you will just need to pay them for their SEO work. :rolleyes:

gworld, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  4. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Not exactly. Your site still has to meet the content requirements or the SEO / Editor is risking their account and they are hardly going to do that. You can bet that those editors who are known to be SEO's are watched quite closely. If you have a *listable* site it is a perfectly legitimate route to a DMOZ listing though. All the SEO / Editor needs to do is to ensure that they also list some of their their clients' competitors at the same time and declare their association with the site.

brizzie, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Since there can be links to pages, it won't be hard to make a "listable" page and I am sure the "senior" editors will declare their "association". After all, we all know how honest "senior" editors are. :rolleyes:

gworld, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No, no, no, brizzie. That will get him submitted. His question was how to get listed...

minstrel, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  7. khan11

khan11 Active Member

Best Answers:
    well im bit confused :s i dont know what to do at this situation. Give me some idea ,

my site address is www.jhelumfun.com

khan11, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  8. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    jhelumfun.com

Lots of cookies to block on opening...

No business address... no way to tell if it is a legitimate business.

Drilled down to some games... error messages

Lots of advertising space notices and some GoogleAds for good measure

Ebay links for selling phones.

A directory with more or less nothing in it.

Conclusion - there are tens of thousands of better sites on the subject than this one. I would not have listed it within DMOZ. It looks like a site set up to generate advertising income and nothing much else. "Insufficient original content".

I would look elsewhere for your marketing and forget DMOZ if I were you.

brizzie, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    OK. Submit to DMOZ. Once. Then forget you ever heard of DMOZ.

You probably will not be listed. Even if you are, it will have virtually zero impact on the success of your website or on your search engine rankings.

Now stop worrying about it and get back to improving your site for your visitors.

minstrel, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  10. khan11

khan11 Active Member

Best Answers:
    hmm i think i should remove ebay links,also those blocked cookies are not of my site,i joined ranking program i think due to that this is happening.

also im sorry for game erros: you can go again and check now,all the symbian,java games are working now,if you still get anytype of error then let me know.

khan11, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  11. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    If the site works for you and generates cash then don't play with it, just accept that it is not for DMOZ. Design the site for the visitors not for DMOZ; it is inevitable that a site built for the benefit of its visitors will by its nature stand a much greater chance of a DMOZ listing as a side benefit. And if you have a feature on the site make sure it works. Not for DMOZ but for those visitors again. Many sites get listed on DMOZ not through submission but through word of mouth.

brizzie, Sep 30, 2006 IP
    ziandra likes this.
  12. khan11

khan11 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i was asking to get one more backlink as dmoz has good page rank.

khan11, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  13. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    You asked, but giving you a backlink to help your marketing is not the purpose of DMOZ. In my opinion your site is unlistable as it stands so I would say forget it and move onto other things.

brizzie, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Which page on DMOZ has good PageRank? You certainly are not going to be listed on the home page. Whether you'll even get decent PR from your listing depends on (1) which page conatins your link and (2) how many other sites are listed on the same page -- remember that the value of PR passed to you is a proportion of the PR of the DMOZ page divided equally among ALL the outgoing links from that page. I think you'll find that that value approaches zero very quickly on many or most DMOZ pages.

minstrel, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  15. jhoward

jhoward Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted my site a few days ago. Can anyone tell me if I've got a prayer of getting listed?

sportsticketsecrets.com

Thanks,
    jh

jhoward, Oct 8, 2006 IP
  16. SEMBasics

SEMBasics Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a number of things that you can do to help get your site listed in DMOZ. First of all, you should know that you can (and probably should) submit your site to more than one category (I'll explain how in a second). Just make sure that you don't submit the same page on your site to two different categories. Secondly, you do NOT have to submit your home page and in general it is probably best not to do so. With that said, you should look for relevant categories which do not have a lot of sites listed in them. These are your best shot as they need quality content. You want to submit a page on your site to each category which EXACTLY meets the criteriea and/or needs of that category. If you don't have such a page on your site then create it (just make sure that it is of good quality). Keep doing this for each category which is relevant (even loosely relevant) to your company.

There are some more things that you can do to help your site get listed. I've listed them in a short tutorial that I've written about how to get listed in DMOZ. You can read the tutorial at the following URL: http://www.sembasics.com/sem-guides/link-building-strategies/directory-submission/11-tips-to-getting-your-site-listed-in-dmoz

Check out the tutorial for more details.

Best of luck,

Moshe

SEMBasics, Oct 11, 2006 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  17. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dear Moshe,

Moshi anatano "tutorial" ippai taskete ageru nara webmasters ni, sore wa daijin no tool. Motto gambatte kudasai. :D

popotalk, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  18. gboisseau

gboisseau Peon

Best Answers:
    Doing this (submitting multiple pages) is the quickest way to get your site banned from the ODP. Deeplinking spam is forbidden, it takes resources away from the listing of other sites, and is not tolerated.

Do not do what this submitter suggested. If it was such a great idea, ask him why his site is not listed.

gboisseau, Oct 11, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  19. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    jhoward, for best results, read what SEMBasics wrote and make sure you avoid taking ANY of his advice.

Submit to the single best category and work on providing lots of good unique content. :)

compostannie, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    popotalk, Oct 11, 2006 IP