1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can I extract an SQL Database file?

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by gauharjk, Nov 2, 2007.

I have an SQL database file, having size 1.15GB.

It has 2,77,000+ Master Resale PLR articles.

I am new to SQL, and don't know much about it. So I am requesting help to fellow DP members.

Is it possible to extract this single file? Maybe some software?

Or do i have to upload 1.15GB file to my server and do something online?

Please help...

gauharjk, Nov 2, 2007 IP
  2. briansol

briansol Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "SQL database file" doesn't tell us much. you can export records into just about anything from full command line (INSERT INTO TABLE blah;) to CSV, to TSV, or jsut about anything else.

you can most likely just open it in a text editor though....

briansol, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  3. nikko999

nikko999 Peon

Best Answers:
    I assume that your SQL database is in .rar/.zip/.tar format and you're trying to extract it and insert it to a database.

You can just upload it to your server(1.15 GB is a big piece of crap, be sure you've a good connection and make sure your computer is not going to freeze anytime or else you'll regret :p) and tell your host to do it by telling them to extract it and insert to the database you intended to.

If you're using direct admin your backup file will probably appears without any extension. Same as above, upload, tell your host to do the dirty work.

nikko999, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  4. Kuldeep1952

Kuldeep1952 Active Member

Best Answers:
    gauharjk - a 1 GB file has to be handled carefully. You cannot open
    it with a text editor. If you have to use the full content on the server,
    then you have to upload it - there is no choice. You can use some
    "File Splitter" to split the file into small parts, so that it is easy to upload.

If you are going to use only a part of it, you should first import it to a
    local db on your pc, and then export only selected parts. Upload and import
    only these parts on the server.

Kuldeep1952, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  5. wilsong43

wilsong43 Guest

Best Answers:
    sqlcourse dot com

The basics it will take an hour or so to process most of the information. In short an .sql file type can be produced by a number of different 'versions' of sql from ms sql through oracle to the contemporary mysql that is all over the internet, and free.

The file consists of 'fields' or delimted areas of a flat file described usually at the very begining of the file. Before you attempt to do anything back the file up as is to a 'hard' copy DVD or use an above mentioned spiltter to put it on CD's if possible or another directory on your disk... Be certain that its a copy of the file, not a 'pointer' to the file. A gig + file is big, but not unmanageable. At the very head of the file you will read some information about how the file was generated.

From there provide more info on this forum and you will probably get what you are looking for. If your going to be spending some time with this, I would read the 'primer' you will know what questions to ask and it will speed up the process.

Good luck

wilsong43, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  6. kcl

kcl Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Kuldeep
    How to extract text from .qch file? Please advice.
    I have a reference book on CD. It is in in exe and dmg format. It installs as some .dll files, .cfs file and a big data.qch file. I think this qch file has the text. After installing it, I am able to open the book, open the chapters, search etc. I want to extract the text fie to convert it to epub format to study the book on my iPhone. Can you please advice on this.
    Thank you so much.
    Kiran

kcl, Jan 13, 2011 IP