1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can I create my own internal Search Engine?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Garchen, Sep 18, 2013.

Hello all

I am looking to have a site developed to help fellow dog lovers like myself , find dogs we have been looking for
    The search engine would be in my site and should only look in my site. (If that makes it easer)

I think it would be similar to dating websites , where you can choose from the following options
    Sex , breed , hairleagth , age, ect ect.
    People that join the site would be Able to register log in and create a profile of there beloved canines
    And simply by choosing from the search engine it can save plenty hours looking through hundreds of free profiles

Can someone help I dot really have a big budget as it s all free, and I am not looking to market adverts ect

I really don't want to search the net for results and find puppies in Russia when I live in Alaska or something

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    Garchen, Sep 18, 2013 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    @Garchen - your search is really simple - and how you do it depends on how normalised your database is (how your data is stored) and how you want to set up the search form.

I've just done a search tool with only one box but the data is searched for in lots of columns in several tables. Alternatively you might want to search for "breed" in only one place.

sarahk, Sep 18, 2013 IP
  3. Garchen

Garchen Peon

Best Answers:
    @sarahk thank you for the reply

I have a following over the years of over 10000 dog lovers world wide I follow blogs, health tips events ect.
    Now I really want to bring my knowledge and my passion together and get connected with all the people and BEASTS hehe
    The search would include, location -breed-sex-color-hairleagth - age

All these an have drop down menus ie: sex= male female family color= white black brown cream age = 0-2 2-4 4-6 ad so on
    But these choices need to correspond with the owners "application" when registering his/ her account as each user will have there own page where they can post quality pictures

Any advise can u point me to a site or advise

Garchen, Sep 18, 2013 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you have a successful site, well done.

the search form just needs to mirror the pet profile page and then the script will set up the sql, run the search and output the results. This isn't a big job to contract out if you can't do it yourself.

sarahk, Sep 18, 2013 IP
  5. Garchen

Garchen Peon

Best Answers:
    The site is still being developed and there is no success as yet
    This is a passion and not a business , what would the cost be to outsource this requirement only the search engine side
    As the developer or programer as not doe such things yet . Quite honestly he has done very little web development or building and has told m he cannot do this

Also what would be the best program to use

Please help

Garchen, Sep 18, 2013 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I can't recommend a system without seeing your business requirements and what you actually want the site to do. Anything that allows signups would be a good start - probably more than WordPress so I'd look at drupal and joomla or something completely new like cakePHP or one of the other frameworks.

Before you spend money on this make sure you can beat dogster and the other, already established sites. Not necessarily beat them in numbers but by whatever measure you will use to determine success.

sarahk, Sep 18, 2013 IP
  7. Garchen

Garchen Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok t
    Ty this is really not for gain
    I am a vet by profession and love my animals,ultimately it will go hand in hand

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
    Garchen, Sep 18, 2013 IP