1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can I create a server computer with primary internet connection

Discussion in 'Cluster Computing' started by debarshi18, Mar 21, 2013.

Hello
    The title of the thread might not help you to understand what I am exactly looking for. Here I will try to tell you what I am looking for.
    SEMrush
    I have two computers in my home with one having broadband internet connection and the other nothing. Both are running on windows 7. I want to setup a server n my primary computer so that I can connect to internet from my secondary computer also. Both the computers are far from each other that is I cannot use the same internet connection and modem on the other computer. I want to use internet on both the computers. I tried with dongle those have very low speed. 3G too costly.

I want to setup something (possibly a server) on my primary computer in such a away so that I can run internet on the other computer even when the primary is switched off. Please let me know if it is even possible or not, if yes, please don't mind to write step by step procedure by which I can do it..

Thanks a lot in advance for helping this poor little kid:oops::oops:

debarshi18, Mar 21, 2013 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Eased

Eased Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Erm. Running a server from your home is NEVER a good idea. Your talking about running an exposed PC to dangerous internet traffic which could compromise your entire home network. Not to mention the bandwidth costs would be ridiculous and speeds would be slow. Most ISP's do not allow you to run home based servers and will block or QoS ports that serve these functions. Just don't do it. Read the TOS of your ISP.

To fix your dilemma with no internet on the PC, it sounds like you need to buy a cheap switch and run a cable, or buy a wireless router and a wireless card.

Eased, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  3. matt_62

matt_62 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You just need a wireless router (that has ethernet ports at the back)

At my place, some of my machines are both windows (xp / vista / 7) and linux. We can connect all the devices to the internet at the same time by having just a wireless router, that also lets us connect ethernet cables in.

matt_62, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  4. Brian L. Martin

Brian L. Martin Peon

Best Answers:
    Since you're just saying 'Computer' I'll assume that both are Desktop PC's. Like the poster above said, all you really need is a Wireless Router, and a WiFi card for the Computer that is not directly connected to the internet. You said that the dongle was too slow? I don't rightly know what you mean by that, since there are 802.11n dongles that are just as fast as any WiFi configuration. A few Links follow to help you get set up.

1. Wireless Router - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124490
    and either
    A. PCI Express WiFi Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074
    or
    B. Wireless N 'Dongle' (lol) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124467

*Disclaimer: I do not have any experience with the exact items linked, they are just examples of products that would solve your problem*

Brian L. Martin, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  5. debarshi18

debarshi18 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    thanks to everyone, it seems I will have to use a router to connect both my PCs. I just hope the speed wont be compromise if I use a router to connect the other PC. I have no idea about how to connect or install router, so I think I will soon open a new thread again on how to connect and install router, I just hope I don;t have to.

anyway thanks a lot to @Apocalypse, @matt_62, @Brian.L.M for answering and helping..and @Brian the links really helped ))
    thanks again everyone))

6. Brian L. Martin

Brian L. Martin Peon

Best Answers:
    The Router and the Wireless N Adapter should be a pretty easy project man. All you need is:
    1. Wireless Router
    2. Wireless N Adapter
    3. Two Ethernet Cords

Broadband Modem -----------> Router Internet Socket
    One of the Other Sockets on the Router (usually 1, 2, 3, or 4) -----------> PC #1 Ethernet Jack

The PCI Card, or Dongle, goes in Computer #2

Run the Install Disc for the Router and you should be just about all set up. Name the Wireless Network, and protect it with WPA2 encryption. I guess you could save yourself some manner of headache if you go with the same vendor on the Router and Card/Dongle whichever combination you choose.

Brian L. Martin, Mar 21, 2013 IP
  7. debarshi18

debarshi18 Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks again @Brain, this will definitely help. Will follow all your steps, I am sure I will be able to do it by myself. ))