1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hot Tips For Improving Your Alexa Rank Fast

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by thegotoguy, Nov 25, 2009.

Tips For Improving Your Alexa Rank Fast

So there is a lot of debate about whether the Alexa.com ranking system is accurate in measuring the overall popularity of a website and its growth over time. But for some reason we all seem to want to try and improve it anyway.

Through basic website improvements like :

* Improving content

* Updating content

* Adding fresh relative content regularly

* Link Building

To more intense tasks that can really frustrate even the more advanced webmasters and owners of self hosted blogs who seek ultimate success through SEO and their overall Alexa.com rank like:

* Search Engine Optimization

* Paid Advertising

* Link Exchanges

* Article Submissions

Ask yourself a few questions and then decide which arena of webmasters you are in.

1.) Do you have a decent budget at your disposal to pay for advertising?

2.) Is your site currently monetized?

3.) Are you Dmoz listed?

4.) How much of your overall traffic comes from search engines?

5.) Do you think that your site needs improvements?

We are going to go over all of these points and while keeping this tutorial simple, I’ll show you how to improve your Alexa rank without spending much or any money at all.

Okay…. First I think we should start off by learning a little about Alexa.com and what they are all about.

“What is Alexa.com and why should I care”? (We’ll refer to Wikipedia’s official definition)

Alexa Internet, Inc. is a California, U.S.-based subsidiary company of Amazon.com that is known for its toolbar and website. Once installed, the toolbar collects data on browsing behavior which is transmitted to the website where it is stored and analyzed and is the basis for the company’s web traffic reporting.

The company’s premises are in Building 37 of the Presidio of San Francisco in San Francisco, California.
    Operations and history

Alexa Internet was founded in 1996 by Brewster Kahle and Bruce Gilliat claiming it would improve internet searching by tracking user decisions and using that data to aid future searches.

The company’s name was chosen in homage to the Library of Alexandria, drawing a parallel between the largest repository of knowledge in the ancient world to the potential for the Internet if the alleged search problem could be solved. In addition, ALEXA was originally an abbreviation for Address Lookup EXperts Authority.

The company offered a toolbar that gave Internet users suggestions on where to go next, based on the traffic patterns of its user community. Alexa also offered context for each site visited: to whom it was registered, how many pages it had, how many other sites pointed to it, and how frequently it was updated.

Alexa includes archiving of webpages as they are crawled. This database served as the basis for the creation of the Internet Archive (also located in the Presidio) and its Wayback Machine. Alexa continues to supply the Internet Archive with web crawls.

In 1999, Alexa was acquired by Amazon.com for about $250 million in Amazon stock as the company moved away from its original vision of providing an ‘intelligent’ search engine. Alexa began a partnership with Google in spring 2002, and with the Open Directory Project in January 2003. In May 2006, Amazon replaced Google with Live Search as a provider of search results. In September 2006, they began using their own Search Platform to serve results. In December 2006, they released Alexa Image Search. Built in-house, it is the first major application to be built on their Web Platform.

Alexa has “site info” for the A9.com search engine.

In December 2005, Alexa opened its extensive search index and web-crawling facilities to third party programs through a comprehensive set of web services and APIs. These could be used, for instance, to construct vertical search engines that could run on Alexa’s own servers or elsewhere. In May 2007, Alexa changed their API to require comparisons be limited to 3 sites, reduced size embedded graphs be shown using Flash, and mandatory embedded BritePic ads.

In April 2007, the lawsuit Alexa v. Hornbaker was filed to stop trademark infringement by the statsaholic service. In the lawsuit, Alexa alleges that Hornbaker is stealing traffic graphs for profit, and that the primary purpose of his site is to display graphs that are generated by Alexa’s servers. Hornbaker removed the term Alexa from his service name on March 19, 2007. Nevertheless, Alexa expressly grants permission to refer its data in third-party work subject to suitable credits.

On November 27, 2008, Amazon announced that Alexa Web Search was no longer accepting new customers, and the service would be deprecated or discontinued for existing customers on January 26, 2009.
    Accuracy of ranking by the Alexa Toolbar
    Main article: Alexa Toolbar

Alexa ranks sites based on tracking information of users of its Alexa Toolbar for Internet Explorer and from integrated sidebars in Mozilla and Netscape.

There is some controversy over how representative Alexa’s user base is of typical Internet behavior. If Alexa’s user base is a fair statistical sample of the Internet user population (e.g., a random sample of sufficient size), Alexa’s ranking should be quite accurate. In reality, not much is known about the sample and possible sampling biases. Alexa itself notes several examples. A known source of bias is the self-selecting, opt-in nature of Alexa traffic tracking software installation, but the significance of this bias on rankings is not reported.

On April 16, 2008 many users reported dramatic shifts in their Alexa rankings. Alexa confirmed this later in the day with an announcement that they had released the new Alexa ranking system, claiming that they now take into account more data sources “beyond Alexa Toolbar users”.

Get the Alexa Toolbar At Alexa.com

Okay… Now that we have learned a little bit lets get started shall we?

In Febuary 2009 I started this website. I added this blog a few months later and began improving my SEO over the next few months. Currently I am still at 0 according to google in terms of page rank although I should note that google.com has abolished their page ranking system and are encouraging the use of google analytics to track site statistics and the reach of your site across the globe to your visitors and so much more.

At the time I built this website my Alexa rank was in the 10’s of millions. At the time of this post my Alexa rank is in the top 300,000 and currently sits at 297,255 to be exact. I currentlyhave 3 sites linking in according to Alexa.com and my site is growing in all directions across the board according to Alexa.com’s statistics graph for my site. So as you can see it doesn’t happen over night but 10 months isn’t really a long time when you consider the grand scheme of things and how fast my Alexa.com rank improved from the 10’s of millions to the top 200k.

Most webmasters have an eager goal set. This goal is to achieve success in seo (search engine optimization) and to improve their Alexa.com ranking. The ultimate goal for most webmasters is to slip into the top 100,000 sites on the internet. This goal is also a goal of mine as well. And…….. I hope that I can help you improve your overall alexa rank with the tips and tricks I use to improve mine.

Improving Your Content and Updating Your Content

You should always update or improve your content. Don’t delete your entire content! Simply add to it, ammend it or correct any wrong information and include the date on all of your revisions.

Adding Fresh Relative Content Regularly

You should always strive to improve your content. And ultimately continue to add fresh rich and relative content to your sites pages or to your blog regularly. This will increase the amount of visitors your site or blog will get as you will improve your overall search engine saturation (saturation of the search engines are the measured amounts of content they have indexed from your site and included in their overall available search index).

There is nothing wrong with using private label articles. PLR articles are useful when you add to them or rewrite them to make them your own. There are millions and millions of private label articles all over the web in nearly every topic category and niche.

Link Building

Link building is important for any website. This can be accomplished by asking to swap links with competitors or webmasters who share the web with you within the same niche. Many of them will jump at the opportunity to link swap with you as it will improve the Alexa.com rank of both websites.

Another method of link building that people should perform regularly is blog commenting on blogs that allow “do follow” links. Using specialized blog commenting software which is specifically designed for blog commenting you can search across platforms for blogs with specific keywords that match the content or the niche of your own blog. This software also allows you to see the page rank of the blogs you search for and the ability to select only high pr blogs from 10 – 0 (10 being the best).

When commenting on blogs you should always comment on the blog in a respectful and proactive way. Always be on topic and actually read the post in which you are commenting on. Nobody likes spam! So be courteous and on point or your comment will probably just get deleted.

Search Engine Optimization

We have covered some of the main keys of SEO earlier in this post so I’ll touch on a few more very important parts of seo here.

Aside from rich content that you should add to and update regularly you should also consider keyword optimization. Google offers to its members the use of their “webmaster tools” section of their site. This section offers tools like the keyword tool and so many others to help you redefine your pages most important top keywords. You should include these keywords at least 5 times in each page in a manner that is both search friendly and reader friendly and keep them close to the top of the page (for pages with tons of content).

Another key factor is ensuring that you eliminate as much white space as possible to allow your site to be indexed faster by the search engines. Eliminating white space will also allow your page to load faster.

SEO Now you should build an accurate and targeted meta tag for your site.

A meta tag consists of a few very important and critical pieces of html that will make your site or break your site from an seo standpoint. Meta tags are at the top of web pages and each of your pages should have a slightly different meta tag, description and keyword list. The meta tags are located within the head tags of your pages.

First is the title. You should make sure your title is short, sweet and accurate.

Then there is your sites description. Your description should define your site accurately as a whole using as many of the top keywords as possible to describe your site in a readable manner both by the engines and by real people. It shouldn’t exceed 180 characters in length.

Last but not least there is the keywords list. Building a targeted list of around 20 of the top keywords you believe are used in phrases that people will search for to find a site like yours and include them in the keywords section of your meta tag.

Paid Advertising (PPC)

Advertising can be a great way to pull a very targeted audience of people out of the search engines and from other sites. However, it can be costly. It can also be completely useless if your sites seo is poor and your ability to create ads that make people click them is less than stellar.

There is literally so much competition on the web in almost every single niche imaginable. You should try to outshine all of the competition by being a trend setter and the authority in your niche.

Advertising options aren’t hard to find. But you should shop around and be very careful as you can spend a lot of money and get little or no return on your investment (roi). One method that is very popular across the web is google’s adwords program. This program is one of the most used programs by webmasters to try and convert searches into clicks and visitors into conversions. You can read tutorials about how to effectively write your ads and use the proper keywords related to your site to pull the most targeted searches to your ad and then get the visitors into your website and hopefully make that sale. You’ll also need to decide on a budget and possibly run 2 or 3 campaigns at the same time and figure out which one is producing the best results.

Article Submissions

Properly using plr articles or by writing your own articles from scratch and making them informative and interesting and then submitting them to article directories across the web can help in not only the overall amount of subscribers, readers and clicks you get. But it will also increase your websites link popularity, exposure and your alexa rank at the same time as alexa counts the numbers of links to your site from sites all across the web.

Including every single avenue or option on improving your sites seo is pretty impossible to do in a single blog post. But adhering to the methods listed above will most certainly add to your sites overall seo and increase your traffic as well as improve your sites Alexa.com rank.

So in a nutshell…… Performing positive SEO will most definitely improve your Alexa.com rank. Doing nothing will result in nothing.

Thank you for reading my post. I hope that it was informative and useful and if you like it please leave a comment or a track back and don’t hesitate to tweet it using the button below! Good luck to you!

thegotoguy, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  2. sweta.singh.98

sweta.singh.98 Guest

Best Answers:
    Wow very nice info thanks for share ...........

sweta.singh.98, Nov 25, 2009 IP
  3. sleung

sleung Member

Best Answers:
    i agree except ofr paid advertising

how can yiou tell if it is paid advertising or not

sleung, Nov 25, 2009 IP