1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hosting Site?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by alan_burns, Oct 30, 2005.

is there any money to be made from owning such a site. My mate owns one and i think hes got 2 sites hosted. Me and another person. Hes making no money to my knowledge.

alan_burns, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  2. tandac

tandac Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I think it's nearly impossible. I'm doing it but I wouldn't want to make a living at it. Now days there are so many hosting providers offering lots for almost nothing. What makes the little guy special anymore?

I use the value added angle. The people hosting with me usually get something else in addition to just the hosting plan I offer. Usually it's me, my one on one support or something else.

For example clients who sign up in my Bed and Breakfast site get a discount on hosting. Other people sign up and I help them host geneology software or set up ecommerce sites. It all depends on the need.

The end result being that I have managed to sell enough accounts to pay for the virtual server, while keeping the price competative to local and other Internet providers.

tandac, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  3. ozegreatdeals

ozegreatdeals Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Unless you have current clients I would recommend getting a reseller account which you can get fairly cheap. So that even if the hosting site does not make money you can at least host your own sites and not be paying money for nothing.

The flip side is, that if the hosting takes off you can always upgrades to a vps or dedicated server.

Drew.

ozegreatdeals, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  4. philately

philately Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    A reseller account is the better choice if you have not enough money in the pockets to provide a good service!

philately, Nov 4, 2005 IP
  5. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Avoid it!
    My host makes hardly anything and he's like ill with stress :) It's alot of hard work, especially when people are making money from their sites, if they go down because of a bug, your neck is on the line to fix it. The money is hardly worth it either, a decent hosting option can host most sites, costs only $10-20/month. With your overheads, you're lucky to make profit.

Blitz, Nov 5, 2005 IP