1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hosting service -- help

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by irka, Feb 18, 2006.

Hi people,
    I have a hosting plan based at www.dailyrazor.com and i am very unhappy about it, i contacted them 6 times in the last few weeks because of problems occuring on my server. Everytime they fixed the problems but another problem happens after they fixed the previous one.

And i would like to know how can i keep my domain name and transfer it to another hosting plan? Is there some hosting plans like that?
    Do you guys know a good hosting with good support online and the services is "tip top"(very good)?

I've to change my hosting today i'm fed up, thanks for any support from you :)
    Cheers!~

irka, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  2. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If you have the login/password for your own domain name, then all you need to do is log in to your registrar's control panel and change the nameservers to the new host after you get it set up on the new host. Wait 24-48 hours, then cancel the old host.

That's it, that's all. Nice and easy.

AWD1, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  3. ozegreatdeals

ozegreatdeals Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Depending on what sort of site you are hosting I am sure there are alot of other hosts out there.
    Like mentioned above you need to have access to your domain name control panel via your domain name registrar to change where the nameservers point to.

Drew.

ozegreatdeals, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  4. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Oh but i don't have the username and password of my domain name, i registered my domain name at the same time i registered my hosting. Lol thats unlucky

irka, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  5. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    That could be a much trickier issue. What's the domain?

AWD1, Feb 18, 2006 IP
  6. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 1
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Something to remember for your future host, you pay for what you get. Cheap prices mean cheap support : )

fsmedia, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  7. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    :( so true.. And my domain name is irkawebpromotions.com, i'll talk to my hosting so they give me access to my registrar control pannel. But i dont think they have one... What can i do in that kind of situations ?

What can i say if my hosting say "it's too late because i registered like that at the beginning" ?

irka, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  8. ozegreatdeals

ozegreatdeals Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Though this is a good rule of thumb I would not judge a book by its cover.
    I provide reasonbly discounted webhosting and my clients tend to think that the support is ok. I must admit I do not offer 24/7 support like the big boys but my reliability is just as good, you just have to wait a little longer for a reply.
    And even some of those 24/7 support sites take longer to reply to messages then others like myself who don't offer or state that fiqure.
    But in saying that I do have a server manager who monitors the servers when I am "a sleep" or not available so they are always watched over..

Sorry it was a little off topic but that statement above is not always accurate. What I used to do before starting my hosting business was always contact the host prior to ordering and test their response. Ask them questions even if you know the answers just so that you can see how good their support is before purchasing.

Drew.

ozegreatdeals, Feb 19, 2006 IP
    irka likes this.
  9. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    First off, irka, transfer the domain to GoDaddy. They've got a risk-free transfer deal and it usually works.

Use the coupon code GEEK (all caps) and you can save $1 on your transfer cost (don't worry...you get a year added to the registration, so you're good to go.)

From there, follow GoDaddy's steps.

Once you're done that, you'll have your own login/password and a control panel where you can do pretty much whatever you want with your domain name (including transferring hosting).

Start the domain transfer process first...I think it's an ICANN rule where DailyRazor has to let the domain go if you ask them to.

Here's a tip I never give to people normally, but in your case you're getting screwed over so here it is:

Complain.
    If complaining doesn't work, whine.
    If whining doesn't work, threaten to mention their name on every web discussion board you know of along with your story.
    And if THAT doesn't work, put up a few posts and show them you're serious. Once they see that, they'll give you anything to shut you up.

AWD1, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  10. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    By the way, I love this DailyRazor website. This is a gas.
    I wonder who "your on" is and when she had the baby.
    With are reputable industry leader. All your base are belong to them as well, I guess.

This picture suddenly became a lot clearer, irka.

AWD1, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  11. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Jeezzzzzzzzzz :D:D:D lol im laughing like hell here but thats true!

Ok and my last question is: does godaddy is worth it ? i went on a forum for 2 months that banned people if they were hosted by godaddy. If you ask me to look up for that forum it may takes a while but i can find it! just i trust all DP ppl at 100%, you tell me godaddy is worth it i'll follow!

irka, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  12. scoxy

scoxy Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If the domain is registered to you, it belongs to you. They seem dodgy if they wont let you access it. Finding a new host shouldnt be hard. Many could host you free, indeed, I probably would. Its really your domain you need to worry about.

scoxy, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  13. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You don't have to host with GoDaddy. You can just register the domain there and that's it. Your domain registrar and your host can, and should, be two separate animals.

For example, all my domains are usually registered with GoDaddy but the hosting is with Sectorlink (if you want a great host, check those guys out. They have a clue...which is more than I can say for a lot of hosts.)

From what I've read, I wouldn't host there either.

AWD1, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  14. iBBnet

iBBnet Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Although it's a good statement, that is NOT ALWAYS the case. I can say that coz I've tried them all. I used to pay $11.95/month for hosting coz I thought the higher I pay, the better the service and support. Not so! I had a host I paid only $3.95/month that actually gave me better service than the first one.

When you're trying a new host, test them out. Ask a few questions at their support department and see how they respond. Do they respond within a reasonable amount of time (within 24 hours or less)? Do they have good communication skills and grammar? etc?

The point is, don't let the price set your standard. Even hosts that provide services at cheaper costs doesn't necessarily mean they'll provide worse service than a more expensive host.

Also, transfer your domain to GoDaddy. I've had them for almost 4 years now and am very satisfied so far.

A WORD OF CAUTION: Don't let your host be your domain registrar, and don't host with your domain registrar. There's a lot of horror stories from people who registered their domain names with the same company that hosts them. You don't want to go through that...

iBBnet, Feb 20, 2006 IP
    AWD1 likes this.
  15. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    This is really good advice (I know, because I said the same thing in the post above. :) )

Seriously, listen to this advice, irka. It'll save you a world of heartache.

AWD1, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  16. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Funny you should mention that. As I mentioned before, my host of choice is Sectorlink. They're not the cheapest host out there, but they're certainly a lot less expensive than some (I'd rank them as low-middle in terms of price).

But I found them when looking for an alternative to the jackasses over at Interland. One of my clients was spending $44.99 USD per month for a hosting plan, and wanted to add a second site to the plan in March of 2002. Nope, said Interland, you need a whole new plan.

So I said nope and went looking for alternatives. Sectorlink had a plan for $6.99 USD that more than met the needs of my client, and having looked at similar plans that were over twice as much, I asked them what the catch was.

"We want you as a customer. That's the catch."

That was good enough for me to make the recommendation to my client. That was over 4 years ago, and now the client hosts all of their sites (4 in total) with Sectorlink for $24.99 USD, which is half of what Interland wanted. Not only that, I have a dedicated box that I rent for less than what Canadian companies just to use their colo facilities.

So low price doesn't always equal low service.

AWD1, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  17. iBBnet

iBBnet Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    That's a great example, AWD1! :) Price is certainly not the standard. ;)

iBBnet, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  18. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    ok now i have registered to godaddy.com, and i want to try that company i hear so much of it :p, i purchased also the .net TLD that i didnt had. But they say my main domain name has been registered 2 months ago and they have to wait 3 month to be able to transfer it. But its ok i'll just have to wait a couple of weeks :), at the same time i still can use it on my hosting and domain name untill then.

And besides i see how to manage domain names like cattle now, i see why there is some crazy domainer out there. You can have thousands of domain names and it's pretty easy to set up for DNS or renew or lock. Damn thats good !

Thanks again :):) im damn happy down here!!

irka, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  19. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    heh glad you're having so much fun with the GoDaddy control panel. :)

AWD1, Feb 20, 2006 IP