1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hosting asp.net sites on linux server with Mono

Discussion in 'C#' started by BizDetail, Sep 16, 2010.

Hi,

I am not a programmer so my technical knowledge is somewhat limited, so you guys will have to go easy on me. :)

I was wondering if anyone has experience running asp.net sites on a linux server with mono? http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

If so, what are your thoughts? Was it a disaster? Relatively easy or terribly difficult to set up?

Just looking for someone that has done this before, and can answer these questions. Obv. I need this done, so this could lead to a nice project for the right person.

BizDetail, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  2. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    I would more question why you would do it? Price difference between windows and linux hosting is tiny - in some cases windows hosting is cheaper.

As a port, it is reasonable (esp compared to the attempts to port Classic ASP) but simply isnt as stable/ complete as .Net in Windows.

AstarothSolutions, Sep 17, 2010 IP
    BizDetail likes this.
  3. BizDetail

BizDetail Peon

Best Answers:

Thanks for the reply. Basically, we are paying for a windows and a linux server, but have quit using asp, and don't want to pay for two servers any longer. Stability is definitely an issue, but the savings of having to only pay for one server instead of two is pretty big.

BizDetail, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  4. bibinsmk

bibinsmk Active Member

Best Answers:
    For the stability I suggest you windows server.

bibinsmk, Sep 18, 2010 IP
  5. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Then why not dump the *nix server? Windows will run PHP without any issues

AstarothSolutions, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  6. BizDetail

BizDetail Peon

Best Answers:
    Mostly because we are doing a bunch of WordPress sites nowadays and I can't seem to figure out the installation process on the windows server, and have given up.

BizDetail, Sep 24, 2010 IP