1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

HostGator $100

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by esidyo, Aug 24, 2008.

1. hav0c

hav0c Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Have you stopped to think logically about things? If you have an affiliate question, you should contact 'affiliates@hostgator.com' which is on their Contact Us page, not their live support. You may think it's a simple question, but that doesn't mean that everyone at HG must have knowledge on the subject or the authority to answer every question.

hav0c, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  2. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why am i talking to a customer service then?????
    I didnt ask him any financial question or something difficult.

Well, i stop posting in this thread, as i see this become a "yes or no" game.
    Its useless for me and wasting my time here, so.
    This is my last post in this thread.

I just post my opinion here, as OP ask our opinion and experience.
    I find it suspicious and should not do business with them, and i also do not recommend them.
    Other people may have a different opinion, but hey, thats what the OP ask for right ;)
    Thats it for now folks.

Have a nice day!

ilook, Aug 28, 2008 IP
  3. Scorpiono

Scorpiono Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We have Hostgator here on DP, maybe he sees the thread and reply with some official release.

Scorpiono, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  4. Mike Seiler

Mike Seiler Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you not read your conversation with him?

That rep is a glutton for punishment. I would have shot myself halfway through that exchange.

My favorite part was how you completely butchered the English language, then asked him where he was from because you weren't impressed with his English. :D

Mike Seiler, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  5. jontizz

jontizz Banned

Best Answers:
    well, is it possible to buy hosting frm ur own affiliate link and get benifited?
    just willing to know.

jontizz, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  6. globestar

globestar Guest

Best Answers:
    Everything else aside, you are an idiot

globestar, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  7. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

H.E.R.O.:eek:

ilook, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  8. Mike Seiler

Mike Seiler Peon

Best Answers:
    You should check each host's terms on that, but it's probably not a good idea. My guess would be that most (or all) hosts will say it's not allowed.

A few possible outcomes if you were to try it:

- Some wouldn't notice, or simply wouldn't care and would be happy that you signed up.

- Some might catch it and not credit you for the sale.

- Some might catch it, and on top of not crediting you for the sale, use it as a reason to not pay you for any of your referrals and boot you from their program completely.

TOS aside, if it's a host you really want to be with and you stay with them beyond the point where they start making money on you as a customer, there isn't any real harm done... other than the TOS violation itself.

On the other hand, if you're doing it just to get a commission, then you dump them, that's shady whether you get caught or not.

9. globestar

globestar Guest

Best Answers:
    I referred 1 hostagor customer and the person i referred paid $95 for hosting. My commission got extended so I am waiting to see if i will actually get paid.

globestar, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  10. Guidance

Guidance Peon

Best Answers:
    Hostgator is not as good as they use to be. They change the 3 month commision plan into a 6 month plan, and they have a problem about their reverse system. I would suggest you to join a different affiliate program.

Guidance, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  11. SNC1981

SNC1981 Peon

Best Answers:
    This was discussed before in this thread: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=947832

I was just looking for a place to do some web hosting. I was thinking about using Hostgator until I read the reviews about their service. Most of them were bad and the people were all saying they were going to go somewhere else for hosting services.

I realize this has nothing to do with the payment, but it does speak to the quality of their business. It may explain why they have such a high rate of commission reversals. Their customers don't stay very long.

SNC1981, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  12. Mike Seiler

Mike Seiler Peon

Best Answers:
    They have hundreds of thousands of customers, most of which are happy there. When you look at actual percentages, there aren't that many bad reviews of any of the huge hosts.

You also have to remember how much quicker bad news spreads than good news. People are usually quiet when they're happy.

Another thing to keep in mind with bad hosting reviews is that not all of them are legit. A bad review can be from a competitor or someone that's only telling 1/2 of the reason for getting booted, etc... An example would be if someone complains that they were cut off for using too much bandwidth, but fails to mention it was a warez site using the bandwidth. ;)

Anyway, as an affiliate, I haven't had a lot of Hostgator commissions -- but they did pay out on all of them and never reversed anything.

As a host, I haven't used them, but wouldn't hesitate to if I had a need for their services.