1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.
  2. Better Analytics for WordPress Get It Free

Horror Having Web Page Cached during 404 error

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ! !, Jan 10, 2005.

With Google's (reverse algorithms) having a Web Page spidered and Cached during a 404 error will not effect SERPS ... :p
    but for Inktomi Algos - more emphasis on Bodytext & less frequent spidering - it could mean a drastic loss or SERPs unless you have the PPI option....
    Because the results affect both Yahoo and MSN it could mean a real long suffering period until the page is respidered! :eek:

Has this happened to anyone with high traffic from Ink sites.​

! !, Jan 10, 2005 IP
  2. gchaney

gchaney Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its just happened to me. Host had problems with that phwhatever bb and lost server for quite a bit longer that I thought. Was during christmas so I wasn't paying to much mind to any of the details. Low and behold last weeks update...I've gone from almost 600 pages to 120... OMG!!! lol

Fortunately, my high traffic pages are in place and traffic is on pace to double from last month. My initial concern was penalty, but rankings stuck across the board for all remaining pages. This is not indicative of a penalty.

This leads me to conclude the server crash was responsible for the dump on this sites pages. They've actually gone up by 5 in the index since the update. I suppose I'll have a better idea next update. Another shrinkage and I acually will really panic....

Cheers

gchaney, Jan 10, 2005 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    What's a PPI option?

fryman, Jan 10, 2005 IP
  4. scisoft

scisoft Peon

Best Answers:
    The same problem happened to a new site of one of our clients. An idiotic server admin made a change to mod rewrite config and left for Christmas. The site was down for several days and get wiped completely in Google, down to zero from 250 already indexed pages. Hopefully, the recovery confirms your observation about not being penalised for downtime. After 10 days from the accident, some 50 pages are back in the index and the SERPS for the recovered pages are similar what they used to be.

scisoft, Jan 11, 2005 IP
  5. ! !

! ! Guest

Best Answers:
    ! !, Jan 11, 2005 IP