1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Horrible Bait and Switch Directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by onlinedude, Aug 15, 2006.

1. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    About the phpld scripts.
    Does anyone know if changing the values from say permanent to yearly make all previous permanent links change to yearly?
    Or vice versa?

iowadawg, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  2. themlife

themlife Peon

Best Answers:
    Look who's viewing this thread...

[​IMG]

themlife, Aug 15, 2006 IP
    onedollar, cormac and EveryQuery like this.
  3. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Kenni Captured LOL Cmon kenni Fess up ;)

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  4. dre

dre Peon

Best Answers:
    He will be here soon :D promise :p

dre, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  5. Daniel Malone

Daniel Malone Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, I checked the "Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread", but I didn't see kenni.

Good catch!

Daniel Malone, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  6. Daniel Malone

Daniel Malone Peon

Best Answers:
  7. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Seconded!

and to note, i haven't bought anything to date, but i sure as hell will never buy anything EVER, now.

Thanks for posting the website :)

Rob

an0n, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  8. munt

munt Peon

Best Answers:
    quoted from iwebtool by kenni..
    "The directory area of iWEBTOOL is controlled and managed by dre and 1/2 other helpers. A few days ago I’ve asked dre to combat those spam websites listed at the directory and get some quality listings instead. This morning, I woke up to see the e-mail dre sent out informing people about the changes that have been made. I’d like to say that I am happy with the decision dre has made and I’m 100 percent behind it.

Now, how I look at it is very simple. A quality directory with quality websites. The change’s dre has made I believe will help to reach that target. Webmasters with quality websites, who are willing to pay the yearly $9.95 should be able to get full benefits from the directory listings included targeted traffic and search engine ranking. If leaving the old listings which were inserted for as low as $5.00 remains on the directory, those quality webmasters will lack the real benefits of the directory.

I understand that at first iWEBTOOL was selling links for $5.00 for a permanent listings and the directory did fill up pretty quickly. The changes which are now made, I agree that they are bad moves for a general business but this is something that will help to build a better future for the directory and those webmasters who contribute to it. We cannot leave those $5.00 listings on as many of them are full of spam and have no sole purpose.

I apologize on behalf of dre, the directory team and I for all the aggravation caused by these changes, nevertheless I’ll be willing to make some personal compensation myself. If you are disappointed about the changes, I’ll be willing to remove your link and refund your $5.00 directly from PayPal, and for all those months you had the link displayed will be completely free – I am not asking a penny/cent for it.

As for those who are supporting the new changes, I thank you for understanding our situation and I’ll be willing to give you an additional year link for as little as $3.00 instead of $9.95. If you have any questions/comments or would like to ask for a refund or claim a $3 extra year, please don’t be afraid to ask. You can contact me at http://www.iwebtool.com/contact/ (please include “attn kenni” at the beginning of your subject.)

Thank you for all your comments and contribution and I hope you all see it the way I see it and a future for the directory. Again, sorry for all the grief caused.

kenni

"

munt, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  9. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This guy Kenni is so full of horse hockey. He claims the price increase and the yearly subscriptions are necessary to combat spam. That's ridiculous. You want some ways to combat spam? There are plenty of directory owners here at DP that could gladly give you some tips on that. I have never heard anyone say "Change all perm links to yearly and raise your prices."

This just doesn't make much sense if combatting spam is the real reason behind this. :rolleyes:

EveryQuery, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  10. dre

dre Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, im sorry you guys didnt like the decision i made. Everyday we get good sites submitted, only to find a few days later that they changed to spam/illegal sites.

dre, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  11. EveryQuery

Best Answers:
    LOL. Welcome to the world of directories. This problem will continue to exist regardless.

onedollar and wrmineo like this.
  12. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    EXTORTION!

an0n, Aug 15, 2006 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  13. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:

That shouldn't affect the quality sites that are already listed. If a site no longer conforms to the terms of service you remove one site, not the whole index. Poor management and business practices.

CReed, Aug 15, 2006 IP
    onedollar likes this.
  14. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Some reason, the reasoning behind that site changing the rules makes not one bit of sense.
    The owners and moderators of that directory can say what they will about spam, bad sites, etc...
    Bottom line is, they screwed up by changing the rules in mid-stream and for that, they will pay the price further down the line.
    As in, anyone who wants to do business with them, will read this thread and shy away quick.

My take?
    If you submit to this directory starting now, you are a fool!

Added: yeah! loved that big remark:
    EXTORTION!

That one word sums up the entire thread and how that directory is doing business now!!!!!

iowadawg, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  15. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you guys are experiencing that big of a problem, you should shut down submissions, review the existing listings and remove the spam, grandfather the remaining listings and then open up submissions subject to your new fee schedule.

CReed, Aug 15, 2006 IP
    EveryQuery likes this.
  16. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Now *why* would they want to do something as logical as that, when they can just extort you for your 'already existing permanent listing' with a nice annual payment fee?

el oh el

an0n, Aug 15, 2006 IP
    onedollar likes this.
  17. Daniel Malone

Daniel Malone Peon

Best Answers:
    If I were to run a directory website, I would have never offered lifetime listings. iWEBTOOL sure messed up when they offered $5 life-time listings.

I've written three articles on the iWEBTOOL Directory issue so far, and lots of people are reading them. More people are getting upset with iWEBTOOL.

ahkip likes this.
  18. dre

dre Peon

Best Answers:
    Email sent to all, please read it!:) Once again sorry.

dre, Aug 15, 2006 IP
  19. EveryQuery

Best Answers:
    Glad you decided against the previous plan. This sounds much better. :)

20. dre

dre Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, just let me know if i can help in any other way

dre, Aug 15, 2006 IP