1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Homepage redirect and SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by pmaro, Aug 8, 2011.

Hi,

A client of mine has a redirect on their homepage. What is the impact of this on SEO ranking?

I would think it causes a problem as the main url www.xxx.com does not have content and is redirected to a sub folder of that domain which has the content.

They are using a 301 redirect.

Please advise how this would affect SEO and what are the best options to solve it

pmaro, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  2. jvfconsulting

jvfconsulting Active Member

Best Answers:
    Did their website have any Page Rank to begin with? How many backlinks do they have? Did you setup a redirect in Google Webmaster Tools?

jvfconsulting, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  3. pmaro

pmaro Peon

Best Answers:
    They currently have a very low pagerank ie 1. They currently have a few hundred backlinks but they are not ranking at all on any big keywords relating to their industry

pmaro, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  4. komrad

komrad Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, soon google will only pick the sub folder for that site. So, the homepage will be disapear. I had tried this case.

komrad, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  5. uday11

uday11 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i agree with komrad.., Google will considers sub folder for that site. and as it is a permananent 301 redirection so ranking does not effects.., Goolge might drop its positions for 3-4 weeks and later it reverts original rankings

uday11, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  6. Icecube_media

Icecube_media Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Google would harm your ranking with your homepage & give preference to sub folder or domain!

Icecube_media, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  7. smsinhindi

smsinhindi Peon

Best Answers:
    There will not be any concern of Home page as it is already redirected to subfolder. I think it will be okay after a little fluctuation.
    You need to build link for sub-pages considering it your new home page.

smsinhindi, Aug 9, 2011 IP
  8. seosangrai

seosangrai Active Member

Best Answers:
    All are depend upon the relevant and strong baclinks for the website are you using the 301 redirection. I also used it for two times when my website bears a PR of 3 when I used 301 redirection it affect the PR for two weeks but after two weeks my website again get the PR as earlier.

seosangrai, Aug 9, 2011 IP
  9. arvinrams

arvinrams Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, as many have answered already, the homepage of website will disappear from the results and the sub folder will appear. As you have given 301 redirect, any page rank that you homepage may have had, will be passed on to the subfolder.

arvinrams, Aug 9, 2011 IP
  10. ingame

ingame Peon

Best Answers:
    some link juice and PR is lost with the 301 redirects, how much of it? no one knows exactly. If your client is planning to use the homepage at some point in the future I would advice either putting the content from the subfolder on the homepage or using a 302 redirect.

ingame, Aug 9, 2011 IP
  11. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    What they have done is harm their SEO efforts. All PR Link Juice will be lost because the URL for the "default" home page will be different. It also will screw up internal navigation. And screw up the use of < link rel='canonical' href='http://www.catanich.com/'> that has become so important to google. It would have been smater to copy and paste the HTML from the subdirectory to the default web page. Also Google hates redirects anyway.

catanich, Aug 9, 2011 IP
  12. martentaylor

martentaylor Peon

Best Answers:
    why are you not edit your home page? make it attract with fresh content, I hope you would get your desire result.

martentaylor, Aug 9, 2011 IP
  13. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your rankings and traffic may dwindle for a short period after redirection.
    Since you redirecting page has no content, so it hardly matters. It don’t think this will impact your SEO in any ways.

C.Rebecca, Aug 10, 2011 IP