1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

HomePage Only Penalty???

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by Hank, Mar 25, 2005.

I've had a site for over a year in a B2B market. It's done nicely with Adsense and as I've added content, revs have grown equally.

The problem is recently, the hompage suddenly, starting about 1 week ago, maybe 10 days ago, began showing ONLY public service ads.

All interrior pages show proper and "usual" adsense advertiser's ads.

Has anyone else experienced a home page only penalty or similar? Is this a penalty? Does G Adsense penalize pages displaying Adsense? I know G penalizes sites / pages in their free SERPs, but I'm referring to an "adsense penalty".

Site rankings have not changed much, in spite of the recent swings in the G algo. SERPS fluctuate, but traffic is about the same.

I'm just baffled as to how only the homepage shows the public service ads.

Oh yea, and it's certainly affecting revs - the homepage is where most clicks occur from what my tracking shows.

Would love to hear some theories and / or similar experiences.

Hank

Hank, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  2. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed similar problems in the past... I never did figure out why that happened, but I have moved away from adsence on some of my homepages, so it hasn't been an issue lately, but sure do remember when it was.

clasione, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  3. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hank,

What is the URL for the homepage. It would be interesting to take a look and see if anyone has any theories about your problem.

compar, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  4. Tiger Bob

Tiger Bob Guest

Best Answers:
    I had the problem recently. Only lasted a day and then came right again. Interestingly it was only on the base url (eg www.?????.com) the index page www.????.com/index.php was fine.

Tiger Bob, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  5. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    I had that problem with a search portal site I own. I emailed G about it and they replied that my page was "lots of links and not enough content." The fix: I added 3 paragraphs of original cotent and the ads were back with a vengeance.

FYI: you should use their alternate ads feature. It's one of the most powerful features of the program. If none of their ads are available you can display your own banners instead of them inserting those unproductive public service ads:

https://www.google.com/adsense/alternateads#html

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  6. Hank

Hank Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, odd that you mention that...that's my case too! Also, as the site uses a well known content management system, there is a homepage link that is not 'normal' and it too has regular ads on it.

Funny thing is, everything is original content and I add 3 to 5 new articles a day, with intro clips on the homepage.

Very odd indeed....

Hank

Hank, Mar 26, 2005 IP