1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hilarious, But True: Someone Attempting to Buy Editorship at DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Ajeet, Apr 28, 2005.

Hi,

Reading the article writing thread here, I visited Rentacoder to see what was up with the article jobs there, and guess what. Bid Request Id: 255447 is about someone wanting a DMOZ editor to turn in her/his editorship in certain categories to the buyer for a price. And the buyer has capped the offer at a max of US$50.

What is the world coming to?

BTW, I have been rejected by DMOZ on 4 occasions, and at least on 2, I felt that they were very unreasonable. Does anyone want to share success stories or thoughts in general re: becoming a DMOZ editor?

Thanks
    Ajeet

Ajeet, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  2. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    I am an editor of certain very small category, turnaround for it was very quick and approval rate very high. Despite of that, two other editors were approved for that very small category.

They got in only to submit their own sites, and after that they ceased working on it and their editorship ceased as well. I don't get it why two others were approved for such a small category, and I don't get why they wanted to become editors when I am almost certain that I didn't refuse any of their submissions in the past.

One thing more, I applied not for editorship, but just for greenbusting for another similar category that has hundreds of links unreviewed for a long time already. They didn't accept me for that saying I have little experience so far - but greenbusting is especially for those without experience. Btw. in that time I also became an editor of two other categories without any problems.

subseo, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  3. jlerner

jlerner Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Ajeet,

I have applied twice to be a DMOZ editor. My first application was rejected via a form letter, which stated one possible cause of rejection was "an interest in self promotion". I applied again last week, but have not heard back yet.

For those who might be wondering - I applied for a very small sub-category in womens recreational aviation. Not sure why the threat of "self promotion" applied, as I do not have any sites submitted to that category.

Oh well. Anyone else?

jlerner, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  4. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Probably different people approving applications have different opinions on what is appropriate. I have applied in categories where I have personal interest and I clearly stated that in the application, including url's as required, no problem.

subseo, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  5. jlerner

jlerner Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes - according to DMOZ policy, it is acceptable to have a site in the category for which you are applying.

I can only assume the form letter I recieved was from an outdated policy. Wish I had gotten more usefull feedback. We'll see how it goes for my second attempt.

jlerner, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  6. onestop

onestop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't submit my sites to dmoz anymore. I used to follow a few categories, and I certainly believe that some editors get paid to accept some sites. (of course there are hones and nice people) but the system doesn't work like it used to be. So I protest them by my own way.

onestop, Apr 28, 2005 IP