1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hi Will google index my page if it is using a Java Redirect to another domain?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by tradertt, Apr 16, 2004.

Hi I have a domain that I am using a Java Redirect with some keywords and some metatags inside that page - the java redirect links to another Domain.

Will google index my page in this case?

Please help.

Thank you

tradertt, Apr 16, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Possibly (Google is getting smarter), but don't count on it. You would be better off using an http 301 header redirect.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 16, 2004 IP
  3. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you can not set up a 301 redirect, then you should simply put a redirect in java, and also a html text link on the page that tells visitors where your site has moved to. Make sure that the delay on the redirect is about 5 seconds or more, or you could end up with a spam flag.

301 redirect will transfer page rank, a java re-direct will not.

Old Welsh Guy, Apr 16, 2004 IP
  4. tradertt

tradertt Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi

Sorry guys but what is a 301 redirect? :) How do I do that?

Actually my main purpose is because I have a domain name and I am redirecting that domain name to my eBay store but as eBay stores cannot optimise keywords and meta tags for SEO, I am optimising the page that my customers land on (domain name) before getting redirected to my eBay store which is why I am wondering if Google will index the page...

5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Google will index it, but if you are doing it for keyword stuffing purposes, Google will remove it from the index at some point since it's a doorway page.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, Apr 16, 2004 IP
  6. branduin

branduin Peon

Best Answers:
    tradertt,

I have a suggestion for your page. Since you are able to put content on the page why not make like a "store front" page for your store? Put more content (more keywords) on the page and have a link to Enter Store instead of a redirect. You could put images if you have the same type of thing always for sale and a list of items or categories that you sell items in. You could also put direct links to each of those sections in your eBay store. By doing this you will create a nice page full of content (I believe Yahoo! likes more text) and keywords and have an even better chance in the search engines.

I hope this helps!
    branduin

PS. Here is a link about 301 redirects:
    http://www.thinkhost.com/services/kb/301-redirect.shtml

branduin, Apr 16, 2004 IP
  7. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Now we know the reasoning, I have to go with Branduin here. Build a store front site, and use Ebay as your back end.

The only problem being, that once they leave your front end, there is no way back, as I think Ebay have a no out linking policy in their Stores.

Old Welsh Guy, Apr 16, 2004 IP
  8. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Hey...here is something I actually have some experiance in
    :D !.

My site, www.viciousenterprises.com, is exactly a "store front" to my Ebay store (at leasts that's what it started as...I've expanded since then). The thing about Ebay stores are that they are very mysterious in how the heck they rank so high in the search engines (Since you can't "SEO" them). The best thing you can do is just get people to link to your Ebay Store. At least, that's what I've found so far. Good luck & I'd be happy to give a fellow Ebayer a link, so send me your info if you'd like!

ViciousSummer, Apr 16, 2004 IP
    Cricket likes this.
  9. tradertt

tradertt Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes that will be great :) Perhaps I should consider that too :) but it will take much more planning and much more effort than a redirect - time to go to the drawing board ;p

10. tradertt

tradertt Banned

Best Answers:

Thank you :) Actually I am using my eBay storefront to build up my domain name exposure and once it has enough exposure, I will bring it into my own webstore in a few months time.

but as I am "heavily" promoting my eBay store toward my domain name, it will prove a problem if I link my own webstore in the front page right?

If I only put my eBay store in the front page like yours, can I do SEO for my domain name?

The problem with eBay is that they only rank high for the first few categories that you place in their store and I plan to SEO for the rest of the items I sell.

Any suggestion on what I can do here?

I can do a store front only that the items I sell change all so constantly and will be very difficult to upkeep with prices changing all the time due to competition. :)

Thanks everybody!

11. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think Google or any SE executes Client Side Commands. If this is a javaScript redirect they won't.

Also, I don't think Google will care about this (it should be a 301) but your competition will and rat you out.

catanich, Jul 23, 2008 IP