1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hi there! New to web desiging and need a lot of help!

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by poly3d, Feb 9, 2017.

Hi folks!
    I hope I am in the right place, I was looking around for a right forum to grasp some of the web designing for a little while.

I need a good community to help me with designing my website.
    I have a lot of ideas on what to create, but I am clueless on how to do it, I have installed a ton of plugins on my Wordpress account but I have no idea on how to use most of them.
    I never created a single website and never wrote a single script, other than just a little sketches for my arduino projects.

I am a 3D printing enthusiast who wants to sell printing services online. Definitely not the first one :).

I want people to be able to:
    - login in to their own accounts on my website in order to keep track of their orders,
    - upload their files
    - preview their .STL .OBJ files
    - estimate quote jobs based on the volume of the files
    and many more.

poly3d, Feb 9, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You can do all that with wordpress but I'd go for self hosted and I'd be looking at my shopping cart plugins really closely to check they can do what you need. It sounds like you need to focus on functionality before you focus on design

sarahk, Feb 9, 2017 IP
  3. poly3d

poly3d Peon

Best Answers:
    I absolutely agree, I need to make it work first and then make it look attractive.
    I want to keep it as simple as possible, not necessarily for me, but for the end user.

By self hosted, do you mean hosting from home?

poly3d, Feb 9, 2017 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    No, not at home - you purchase hosting but you set up your own install of wordpress - when you mentioned a "wordpress account" I figured you'd signed up through wordpress.com

sarahk, Feb 9, 2017 IP
  5. poly3d

poly3d Peon

Best Answers:
    Ohhh, I am sorry...
    I totally didn't pay attention to it.
    I am using wordpress.org and hosting using hostgator, I believe that I have somewhat a full control of my website and just if I had enough skills I could achieve what I am trying to do.
    It's just, that I am very passionate about everything I do, I usually start working on something and get into it , start learning basics, advance a lot in it and I wind up with working on a lot of things at the same time which is overwhelming.
    I wish I could start learning web design, but for me to start from scratch and advance enough to get what I need to achieve, will be too much. I don't mind at all to learn something along the way, I actually want to learn some, but I want to learn just enough to accomplish what I need to.
    Is there a "web designing 101" or "web designing for dummies", that I should get familiar with? I will be happy to read through it, but I know it won't be enough for what I need.

poly3d, Feb 9, 2017 IP
  6. poly3d

poly3d Peon

Best Answers:
    Can someone help me with allowing to upload different filetypes to a wordpress?
    I am trying to upload .stl and .obj files using "wordpress file upload" plugin and I don't know how to allow uploading of different filetypes other than the defaults.

poly3d, Feb 12, 2017 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    what are the .stl and .obj files supposed to do?

but, in general, just use something like filezilla to upload files.

sarahk, Feb 12, 2017 IP
  8. poly3d

poly3d Peon

Best Answers:
    .stl and .obj files are 3D meshes that I want to be able to receive from my customers,
    I want them to be able to upload files to my website and preview them using an "stl-viewer" plugin so it is important for me to have a file upload section for my customers.

poly3d, Feb 12, 2017 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    aaah, ok.
    Look at the tool that you're using for the upload and look for a config file or something that might be used to store variables - there might be an admin interface but probably not.

I use a tool called ckfinder and it's got this in it's config.php file

$config['ResourceType'][] = Array(
            'name' => 'Files',                // Single quotes not allowed
            'url' => $baseUrl . 'file',
            'directory' => $baseDir . 'file',
            'maxSize' => 0,
            'allowedExtensions' => 'avi,bmp,csv,doc,docx,gif,gz,gzip,jpeg,jpg,mid,mov,mp3,mp4,mpc,mpeg,mpg,ods,odt,pdf,png,ppt,pptx,pxd,qt,ram,rar,rm,rmi,rmvb,rtf,sdc,sitd,swf,sxc,sxw,tar,tgz,tif,tiff,txt,vsd,wav,wma,wmv,xls,xlsx,zip',
            'deniedExtensions' => '');
    Code (markup):
    All I'd need to do is add those extensions in the allowedExtensions list.

sarahk, Feb 12, 2017 IP
  10. poly3d

poly3d Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the suggestion, I looked around the directory of the plugin and I came across wfu_security.php where there are two lists, "blacklist" and "whitelist" I removed extensions from blacklist and entered in the whitelist.
    Tried uploading a file and it came through!
    Now I need to solve 1000 other issues :)

poly3d, Feb 12, 2017 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  11. poly3d

poly3d Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi there!
    I am back to working on my website again!
    I never really stopped, but I educated myself just a teeny tiny bit more.

I think that I want to make my own plugin for WordPress which will allow me to control my orders, I know that a WooCommerce plugin is a
    great plugin but it doesn't give me ability to preview .STL/.OBJ files and won't calculate my initial quotes based on volume of these files.
    I might want to somehow hook into the wooCommerce plugin for the checkouts, but I am pretty sure it won't be an easy task.

I definitely will need your help and I think that the easiest way will be to just working through one part at a time.
    So for now I wanted to know how to allow people to add their posts(orders) through the front end
    and let only those who created the order see the content of the post.

Later I want to associate files uploaded by those users to their orders so I could use an STLviewer (http://www.viewstl.com) to show them their files (a preview for me as well) and collect "volume" data from the viewer which would allow me to give customers an instant quote.

poly3d, Mar 14, 2017 IP