1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hi how to make search engine like google ?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by yagvendra, Nov 7, 2011.

Hi everyone im yagvendra i am pursuing BCA i want to make search engine like Google. so how to make it and is there any book for that plz suggest me plzzzzzzzzz

yagvendra, Nov 7, 2011 IP
  2. nihangshah

nihangshah Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    nihangshah, Nov 7, 2011 IP
  3. yagvendra

yagvendra Peon

Best Answers:
    no without use of google custom search i want to make search engine like google

yagvendra, Nov 7, 2011 IP
  4. CodeBeast

CodeBeast Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can make a searchengine,but you need to work with about 10-15 friends for 1 year and you would not be able to beat google,since your budget will be ways lower than google's...Also you will need to work like 8-9 hours per day on it,so you would quit your,if you're not a student.It's not hard to create a search engine,but its really hard,to beat a giant like google,as I said google is spending millions on research.

CodeBeast, Nov 7, 2011 IP
    Rukbat likes this.
  5. brotsky

brotsky Member

Best Answers:
    competing with Google is VERY difficult, Microsoft tried to compete and they are losing billions. Unless you are aiming to build a search engine for a very niche market and have some type of strategy that makes your system much better.

Best of luck!

brotsky, Nov 12, 2011 IP
  6. dthoai

dthoai Member

Best Answers:
    Making search engine like Google is very very hard. It requires expensive hardware and software. I suggest you making Q&A based search engine. Site ranking is based on user's votes so it's easier to implement. You can use Bing Search API to get initial results where less questions are found.

dthoai, Nov 12, 2011 IP
  7. lambcrazy

lambcrazy Peon

Best Answers:
    hello yagvendra /...
    its good to hear that you want to make a search engine like google ...
    i want to say that it is not a easy task ... there are alot of things you need to know about the search engines like search spiders,backlinking of pages and a lot of other stuff too .
    So, i suggest you must google this and prepare yourself for the hard ride...

lambcrazy, Nov 16, 2011 IP
  8. pcsgroups

pcsgroups Peon

Best Answers:
    first of all you need to build a efficient crawler that can crawl through the web and store data(html source code) into your database. For this you need to have an excellent programming knowledge + a dedicated server + a huge storage space

After that you need to make a relevancy calculator algorithm than an effective fetch relevant content from your DB in shortest time.

Third, the efficiency of search engine depends on serving each and every query. So unless your crawler has crawled sufficient amount of information you will not be able to show results for each and every query. And here Google beats others.

Lastly, the whole thing should be backed by cloud computing for faster execution.

pcsgroups, Nov 17, 2011 IP
  9. AVC

AVC Peon

Best Answers:
    Not only is it possible to make your own search engine - I have done it - you can actually beat them (Google) at it.

Here is a company that make an excellent small search engine - super fast and easy to work on with lots of hacks and mods.

So, How can you be successful with your own search engine? By targeting a niche or a small area or city.

Build the site and search engine then figure out how to promote it. People will use it and see that it does indeed work very well.

If it is for a small town then you can use gorilla marketing tactics to promote it.

If it is for a niche that covers the entire country or all of the internet and that niche has places where people who are interested in that subject normally go such as a gamers forum you can go there and promote your niche search engine.

I actually had a really nice local search engine for my area that I had up and working for a while and lost it when one of my servers failed. I need to move the site and re-upload and configure it and get it going again then try promoting it locally. It was intended as a local area search engine and when it was working and I had spidered most local sites it indeed did work better then Google - how could that be - simple - I spidered only local related sites and content.

Here is my old search engine [link removed - email me for link] - I got it back up but without all the content indexed - it has very little indexed content now - I'll have to start from scratch and re-index everything. If you want to try it type in isp - that is one of the few terms it will find. Notice - this site still needs work but is working. The front page is patterned after bing. The search results pages background needs to be redone back to basic white, you will see what I mean if you try a search.

If you live in a small town and try searching on Google for anything related to your town Google willl show you so much crap that your really wonder how you are going to find anything.

With my local search engine you could type in anything such as beer and it could not show you beer pages from every place online - it would show you every place that had beer for sale or had beer brewing supplies etc - but only the places that where local to my area.

You did not have to type in [city name] - beer. Just type in beer and WHAM - everything you need right there.

Same with any other subject. People could not believe they could just type in the subject they needed without placing the city name in front of it - in fact I had to build a warning system in the search engine to remind people not to place the city name in the search term or it would pull up all the local city web sites first with all the other stuff on the next few pages.

Once people removed the city name the city name warning would go away and the search result would show them what they wanted. If they wanted to buy beer they could type in "buy beer" or "beer store" and get the stores, if they wanted to brew beer they could type in "brew beer" and get every store that sold brewing supplies. It was almost scary how well it worked.

Note - to see an example of how this city name thing worked go to the example site I linked to below and type in the words "bonsai maple". It will show you a message to remove the word bonsai and just use the word maple. The warning will not longer show after you remove the word bonsai and do the search.

It was lightning fast - it was laser targeted - in other words it beat Google. Google is lightning fast but try actually finding anything for a city or small regional area - you get nothing but tons of junk results.

Working in this way - intended for city or small regions - Google has failed. I have proven they can be beat technically. Mind share is the issue and that can be attained - people talk remember the Facebook factor - people will tell other people about you if you are worthy.

The people that I showed it to where actually ASTOUNDED by how well it worked. The search results where laser targeted to our area with no junk search results that you did not need.

Bottom line is Google has all of you believing that they simply cant be beat - they have beaten you and all other competitors already with nothing more then mind control.

If and when people actually start seeing small regional or city specific search engines start to pop up and start to see how well they can work then Google's days might truly be numbered.

Now you will have a much harder job if you live in a huge city but people living in small cities where you would not have to index more then 50 to 100k results - you will be blown away at how well these small search engines can work.

I would actually like to start a small search engine related directory that could get you right to any Reginald search engine with a few clicks without going through Google.

Lets say for the next 5 yrs we all go out and work like hell building small regional search engines that work very very well without all the total crap results. Then we have a central directory - not a search engine but some place that just list every small search engine so you could find then with a few clicks. Lets say people started to use this network of small search engines due to the word getting out and people loving the fact that they could REALLY FIND WHAT THEY NEEDED WITHOUT ALL THE CRAP RESULTS and this started to spread. Do you think in 5 to 10 years Google would start to crap their pants?

Remember when knew one knew who Google was? It was not that long ago. Maybe if we all went out and built our own small city are area based search engines that worked very very well and linked them all up so people world wide could easily find them - maybe in 20 yrs Google would just be a memory. Google is not too big to fall. Google is however too big and if you ask people - any one on the street - Joe or Jane computer user how it is to use Google - they will tell you how it kind of sucks because of all the crap spam search results. Yes the time to build small search engines and band together to create a regional search engine guild and kick Google where it hurts has come.

Here is an example of what I am talking about - here is a niche search engine I built a (very) long time ago. I have not updated it or re crawled the sites listed in a long time - need to do that. You may find some result that lead to 404 pages. Any way it is a good example of what I am talking about.

[link removed - email or pm me for links and reference this post]

mrrbob at gmail dot com

###

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
    AVC, Nov 17, 2011 IP
  10. RamCity

RamCity Peon

Best Answers:
    Plan yourself for a long years project.

Will you stop posting your crap? If you can't post something useful, don't spam here.

RamCity, Nov 17, 2011 IP
  11. AVC

AVC Peon

Best Answers:
    Ramcity if you think this is spam then you are entitled to your opinion.

I posted this to show it is possible to build your own search engine and then laid out a plan where you could and it could also be a viable alternative to Google in certain ways - if you keep it small and target small areas or cities.

The links to my sites are intended to back up what I say and show examples.

I don't care about links here - if everyone thinks this is spam then I will be more then happy to remove the links.

In fact I'll remove them now. If any one wants to see my 2 sites just send me and email referencing this post and I'll reply with links to the sites.

mrrbob at gmail dot com

###

AVC, Nov 17, 2011 IP
  12. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't call your post spam.. I would call it unreasonable.

It makes no sense why anyone would want to create a web search. The multiple multi-billion dollar companies already have that covered for well over a decade.

NetStar, Nov 21, 2011 IP
  13. Taimoori

Taimoori Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, Microsoft has invested billions on Bing and look where they are, ofcourse they are getting better than before but still no where near google.

Taimoori, Nov 22, 2011 IP
  14. JohnnySchultz

JohnnySchultz Peon

Best Answers:
    a project that i can suggest to you is to create an internal search engine for a company or something like that rather than creating a search engine like Google.

Google has been an established website, having a "killer" search engine is no where near.. even Yahoo is having some financial problems in which Yahoo is older the Google.

JohnnySchultz, Nov 22, 2011 IP
  15. lambcrazy

lambcrazy Peon

Best Answers:
    yes your views are totally right. Google is a established search engine and far from reach from any of the new comers in the industry.

lambcrazy, Nov 22, 2011 IP
  16. BillSmith59

BillSmith59 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Google is very rare search engine. It is very difficult to make search engine like it. but every thing is possible in this world. I think it will take long time to complete. There are two ways you could become remotely successful in making a public search engine.
    1. You have a lot of money (for marketing, research and server costs) or
    2. You have a brilliant idea for how to make a search engine that delivers better results.
    Best of Luck:).

BillSmith59, Nov 22, 2011 IP
  17. kids

kids Active Member

Best Answers:
    Uhm, mission impossible ! :rolleyes:

kids, Nov 22, 2011 IP
  18. Jesse12

Jesse12 Member

Best Answers:
    Hi

Its good that you are planning to make a search engine like google. But to preparep the same you have to work hard. And this wock can not completed individually. So you have to take the help of so many developer. I will suggest you to use the magento development to use it easy. contact us at for more information at http://www.magentositedevelopment.com/magento-packages.php

Jesse12, Nov 23, 2011 IP
  19. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why would he contact your company? You can't help him.

Most people see Google as a simple web page because it's a simple layout and design. They don't see Google for what it really is... a LARGE multi billion dollar company that had MANY successful developers and investors that got it where it is today. They also assume Google is hosted on a GoDaddy shared hosting account instead of understanding that it takes close to 1 million servers to power the Search Engine. (Yes I said 1 million.) Those same people believe the "kid" from FaceBook made his website and operate it out of his mothers basement instead of realizing that it was a Harvard student that had the Financial Backing of many investors worth millions..even a multi-billionaire from overseas.

Why isn't anyone serious here?

NetStar, Nov 24, 2011 IP
  20. rajanrufus

rajanrufus Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    rajanrufus, Dec 17, 2011 IP