1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hey vBulletin Users!

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by noppid, Jun 9, 2005.

vBulletin 3.5 beta 1 has been released. It's clear most all of the hacks and mods we may use have to be recoded.

How will that affect you? Do you have a plan?

How many hacks do you have? Are they your's or are you gonna be waiting for hack upgrades before you can upgrade?

Is anyone here running the unstable vBulletin beta 1 on their live forum? :eek:

We expect to be dealing with the issues ourselves for our sites. I'm gonna preview the code tonight. How about you?

noppid, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have a snapshot (from a few hours ago) of this forum database running it.

It's REALLY, REALLY different in the guts, and people will need to forget how they did things before (a lot more OO class usage for example), because it's totally different.

That being said, the plug-in system is freaking bad ASS, and will be well worth the recoding necessary.

I already reported one bug with the plug-in system that I found, and requested the addition of another hook.

digitalpoint, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  3. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply, I'm expecting alot of reading to "get it".

My hacks don't need alot of areas to hook into, so I expect my task to be challenging, but not over whelming.

Aside from the code, all the necessary template changes alone present quite a bit of work.

The folks with the SEO hack and the arcade will be busy. They have some work to do I bet!

noppid, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  4. Dastar

Dastar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've been holding off on upgrading from phpbb2 to vbulletin because of waiting for 3.5. Though I unsure if I should just wait for the final release or just wait it out. I also was getting a redesign for the site, but that will wait awhile too because of the template changes. There are also quite a few hacks I want to implement, but because of the fact many of them are going to have to be rewritten, I suppose it'll be awhile (but well worth it because of the plug in system).

Dastar, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  5. noppid

Best Answers:
    Yeah, the impex product for vbulletin 3.5 will not be released till the vbulletin 3.5 production code is.

Waiting is your best bet now I'd say too.

noppid, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  6. The Sandman

The Sandman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any guess as to just how long the wait will be before vB 3.5 Final is released?

The Sandman, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  7. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm expecting a while for current hacks to be changed over so I'm going to wait before I do any upgrades.

Infiniterb, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  8. noppid

Best Answers:
    That's anybodies guess. I'd say watching the bug tracker may render clues.

For hackers, the longer the better. Maybe we can see most converted before the vBulletin 3.5 production release.

noppid, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  9. Dastar

Dastar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting, that's a helpful tip about Impex (but makes since).

For anyone who doesn't know, you use Impex to convert an existing forum database to VBulletin (such as converting another forum database too VB).

Dastar, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There are only 3 places I touch the source PHP files, and I've already rewrote 2 of them to use the plug-in system, so once they fix my reported bug, I'll switch production over to 3.5.

The AJAX stuff is awesome, and the template history system is REALLY awesome too. Lets you pull up your templates and compare them side by side with the default, highlighting the changes between the two. Makes it not too terrible for template updates now.

digitalpoint, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  11. noppid

Best Answers:
    hehe, I'm not even opening the zip till the kids are in bed.

Even if I get my code working, I'm skered of the upgrade to vBulletin 3.5 Beta 1. :eek:

I'll follow your lead, if it survives DP, I'll be safe in my little town. :)

noppid, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  12. noppid

Best Answers:
    No admin hooks! :eek:

Queries to fecth hooks! :eek:

I dunno, but I'm in up to my eyeballs now!

noppid, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  13. ZuraX

ZuraX Active Member

Best Answers:
    I added so many hacks to my forum I am scared to upgrade ever! lol

ZuraX, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  14. ZuraX

ZuraX Active Member

Best Answers:
    One thing I see they didnt change was the way the forum URLs show as. Was hoping they would SEO them. :(

ZuraX, Jun 9, 2005 IP
  15. noppid

Best Answers:

They did some SEO stuff in the vBulletin 3.5 titles, the descriptions, and the keyword tags. They did some stuff in the archive too.

However, none of it is impressing me at this time. They seem to be following the lead of one particular poster at vbulletin.com and I disagree with the ideas in alot of ways. But hey, that's the beauty of templates, you can change um!

I like the plug in system. I think it's a bit much over head though for a largely hacked board. That remains to be seen though.

I like the plug in system, but they forgot the ACP side. :( Not very helpful ATM, you still have to hack there for some stuff. Adding new menu choices is real easy though.

I like the new group permissions xml plug in system. That is awsome, but I wish they would have found a way to do that without having to hack a new field into the usergroup table.

The new DB class should really benefit huge forums, but that's a common sense call from reading the code. I have no way of comparing it myself.

The new input variable processing method seems much more complete then the old globalize function.

That's all I got for now, what do you see?

noppid, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  16. ZuraX

ZuraX Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have yet to look at the code. Just see they got it running at vbulletin.com and the URLs are the same as the 3.0.7 and under ones.

ZuraX, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  17. onestop

onestop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm waiting for the stable version of 3.5 to switch my forum. I hope it won't take long.

onestop, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  18. ZuraX

ZuraX Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am hoping a stable version is out before I have to renew my linc. incase I decide not to renew it right away.

ZuraX, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  19. noppid

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty certain I'll need at least one new license by then. I expect an august release to be stable. But of course, that's a guess.

noppid, Jun 10, 2005 IP
  20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I like it... from a coder/administration standpoint I think it's all pretty awesome. A little annoying I have to recode all my custom stuff in this forum, but I'm working on it, and going forward it will be worth it.

digitalpoint, Jun 10, 2005 IP